Rouleau to Regina
75 km, sunny.
Suppose to be a rest day, but became a “light” day.
The day started off with that headwind again. But, I was fairly certain that I'd get a bit of a cross-wind with a bit of tailwind on the way to Regina.
Grinding for 20 km or so. At one point, where I did a little 180 to go get a service road towards a store, I was coasting (not pedalling, just sitting) at 12-13 km/h. I am doing the same speed as pedalling going the other way. I could technically coast for 100 km or so, at the same speed, without pedalling. Very interesting. Predominantly western winds........
At the turnaround point (after the 20 k mark), I was heading to Regina. Yes, I was right this time – the wind would help me out. It felt so nice. I almost had a few tears too; it was such a change. I even closed my eyes for 5-10 seconds or so and just pedalled. Felt so nice.
The ride into town was great. I had my rip n' hammer shirt (which unzipped to the bellybutton, naba), so I just peeled it off in order to get a bit of a tan on the back and shoulders to even out those tan lines. I love that shirt. It's the main reason I have that shirt (even though it is ripped). Nice jerseys like that are hard to find (well, I am also picky about styles).
Regina. Entering town was interesting. Tons of chiropractor clinics (3-4 within the first km), along with Thai restaurants (Viet-Thai, Chinese-Thai, Thai, etc.). Later, the Green Mile starts – very pretty. They are trees lined up on each side of the boulevard. I can picture that in 30 years, and it'll form a nice canopy. Shots of the Parliament building were nice. There's a little park in front too that looks like a nice spot to take a stroll. In the pics, take note of the waves created by that wind that has been bugging me a bit for the past few days.
After the “Mile”, which gets into downtown, well, pretty sketchy. Nothing special about the downtown. I ate a bit, then headed to find a good bike shop. I found one, and purchased a new pair of shoes (good for another 10 years again?), new cheap pedals (as the old ones I have dont exist anymore), thread-on cartridges (for blowing up my tubes), a spare mirror (the one I have will probably fall to pieces soon from the helmet falling to the ground when the wind takes a hold of it), and a few new waterbottles (the new ones I bought before the trip are cheap, and they always taste bad). I also looked at some jerseys (found one that was nice, but didn't buy it), dido for a pair of shorts and a helmet. I figured I will spend enough today. Maybe later.
I searched for the HI Hostel – it was completely booked. So, I went to another spot they recommended. The Plains Hotel. Very dodgy place. But, I had to take it. 70 bucks. The faucet in the shower dripped constantly, the toilet ran a bit. It will have to do. I slowly got organized, shaved, showered, then headed out to the laudrymat. Who do I see in the lobby reserving a room? Alex, the Swiss guy biking across Canada that I met in Golden. Hell, I told him to cancel his room and we can split ours. I enjoy that price a lot more now. Plus, he's a nice guy. Unfortunately for him, he has to stop biking due to a pain in his leg when he rides. The great thing about him is that he will continue to visit the country via bus, train, and possible hitch-hike here and there. I think it's great that he continues the trip. I was thinking the same if i was injured somehow earlier.
Laundry, then supper – greek at the Copper Kettle.
Food – starters was feta cheese in a phyllo pastry, with a Saskatoon berries sauce. Very good. The main course was the Grecian platter, consisting of moussaka, pork and chicken souvlaki, 3 other things I can't remember what they were, potatoes, and a greek salad with only one olive. I had desert, baclava. All very tasty.
I didn't spend much time downtown, or in Regina. The park seems nice, except for some drug dealers and such hanging out there. Few little statues and such, located in a very green area (lots of trees and grass). If I had more time, I'd like to visit the RCMP training academy, as well as watch the Louis Riel play (starts in August).
At the hotel, it was basically time to prepare for the ride on Saturday – one that would have similar winds than the past few days, plus the beauty of possible rain. Yeah.
So, so much for that full rest day. But, it was a good day overall.
One of the pictures I took, I entitle it "Ode to Vinokourov, 2007". Some of you will be able to figure out what I mean (and I dont mean taking performance enhancing drugs).
Alright, later,
p
No comments:
Post a Comment