Vancouver – rest day
40 km (not counting rented bike km)
Overcast and cool in the morning, sunny after 3pm, darkness after sundown.
The word of the day: “Bitchin' “. (You must place the accent on the “Bi”, as in “Bi chin”, said with a smile).
Special birthday wish goes out to Roch. I'll see you in a week or so. Poum 'ti pou ta.
I slept in this morning. I wanted to leave early in order not to get caught. Well, after a long “discussion”, some arm-wrestling, and a dance-off, yadi, yadi, ya, I was let off unscathed. Great.
The ride into Vancouver was an interesting one. The roads are alright, the route was a tricky one. there's basically two ways to get in from the ferry. The direct way, and the long way around (40 km). I chose the direct way. But, with that, I found that bikes were not allowed to go that route – it would eventually become a tunnel under water. Dang. After some inquiries, I found out there's a bike shuttle that runs every day. The next one would be at 11 am. It was 10, so I decided to wait, have breakfast (the often oatmeal with cold water, a juice of some sort, and the occasional peanut butter sandwich or Special K cereal bar). What I wasn't informed was that the shuttle arrives here at 11, and doesnt leave until 11:30. More wait.
When the shuttle arrived, two cyclists got off. They looked like they were touring. We started chatting a bit. They are from Rimouski – Marie-Claude et Nicholas. They are heading to tour the Island a bit before starting their way East. Frenchies everywhere. There's another guy that arrived – Mike. He's a (at least) 60 y.o. guy, rides tons, and has toured x-Canada before. He is doing it again in a few weeks, with his wife following him with their Westfalia. fukengruven. He is doing the Rockies with his son. Fun. We had a good chat, and he gave me some tips for the trip.
On the other side of the tunnel, I climbed into Vancouver. I think I saw where the speed skating facility will be for the Olympics. Oddly enough, it'd be (unfortunately) the only visible Olympic building (or of any advertising of some sort) that I'd see. I would of thought there'd be tons of banners all over the place, construction galore, etc. Nope.
I rode about 40 km to get into downtown, got some information at the Info Centre, then found myself a hostel. Afternoon started off with fixing a little thing that was odd with my rear wheel (some gunk snuck inside my cassette and would not make it turn well – weird). The shop (Pacific Bike Shop, something like that) fixed it on the spot, no charge (close to 30 minute of work). I am greatful for that. They were nice folks.
Since I didn't have lunch yet, I wanted something quick. Yes, another trip to McDonalds was done. I tried their Southwest Chicken. Tasty as well, and inexplicably, a bit of coughing followed. This is turning into an experiment, and I have to know the answer. I will have another go at McDonalds “food” later on during the trip, and see if I react the same. Try everything twice, right?
Now, I had my list of things to do. I didn't have much time, as some stuff would close at 6 pm, and 8 pm. I wanted to rent a Bitchin' bike, ride to Dr. Sun Yat Sen Park, Chinatown, and do a stroll in Stanley Park. Well, I got a bike, not exactly what I wanted, but close. I was looking for a banana seat bike, mustache handlebars, low-rider type of bike. It was close. Picture to follow (if not attached by the time I post this). It took me a bit to get used to the feel, plus that bike was killer on the quads. Damn.
I rushed to Chinatown. I was able to take a few pictures of the Worlds Narrowest Building (Guinness book of records), which was as wide as my bike is long. Actual stores are in that strip.
Dr. Sun Yat Sen Park – amazing. I've had a guided tour of it 3 years ago, but for some inexplicable reason, I do not have access to those pictures anymore, or of the entire trip (from Sooke to Whistler). So, I went in and took tons of pictures. Such an amazing place. I highly recommend that everyone who visits Vancouver goes there. Those buildings were build with (I believe) everything imported from China (including every single pebbles used for the ground, bambo wood, tiles, rocks, etc.) There's not a single screw or nail there. If there's an earthquake, it would be the safest place as nothing would shake (it would absorb all the shock). Very neat place. The attention to detail – immaculate. Everything has a balance there.
I then rushed to Stanley Park (named after Lord Stanley, who also gave us a very special trophy). As I rode in the park, it was basically mandatory (and it felt right) to say Bitchin' every minute or 5. All I needed was to be drunk while riding, so I could feel a bit like a gangster. But, drinking and biking apparently dont mix. Apparently, but that's another story.
The park was amazing as well. I always enjoy the trip there (all 2 of 'em). Bitchin'. Cruisin'. The hot spots for me were: totem poles, Lady in the Water statue, Siwash Rock, Hollow tree (quaranteened as it's about to fall to the ground), the flower garden, Lion's Gate Bridge, and the bike path that goes around the park which showcases great scenes of Van, North Van, the mountains of the area, and the Pacific Ocean.
After returning the bike, I was ready for supper. Walking along Denman Street, there are so many places to eat that look so great, it was hard to choose. But, I had a plan, and I was sticking to it. But, something did catch my eye – a little pub that had Granville Island beers. I had to go. So, their lager – sorry for the cliches, but clean and crips. Very good, very good. I debated trying another one, but I was sort-of feeling a bit of a spin with that one beer (lack of food, fair amount of sun, and cruisin' with a bitchin' bike). I was on my way after one. I must try others though.
I went to Cupcakes (little shop that specializes in, well, I believe Norwegian cow-hide dumplings). Seriously, you can imagine what they specialize in. Anyways, when I found the store, it showed that it was now for lease. Dang. So, I went next door at “Cookies, by George”. It's a store that specializes in, well, never mind. I got half a dozen cookies of different kind. I didn't have one on the spot as I was saving it for after supper (like a good boy). After striking a conversation with the store clerk, I found out that Cupcakes just moved a block away. Well, I had to go there. I purchased two of them: caramella (chocolate and caramel, sprinkled with praline), and Blue Hawaii (coconut cake with blue vanilla butter cream, sprinkled with sweetened coconut).
Afterwards, I took the advice of the bike rental guy for a good place to eat sushi and such. Shabusen – a japanese korean fusion place. Beer – Asahi (“Japan's #1 beer, made in Thailand”, figure that one out). For starters, I had the B.C. sushi roll (bbq salmon skin, with lettuce and cucumber). Tasty, surprisingly. I was scared by the texture (skin), but it turned out alright. Sping rolls (with peanut sauce), hot tea, rice, salad, maso soup, and for the main course, Teriaki beef with tempura. All fairly good.
I thought of having another go at a local beer afterwards, but I was fairly full, and it was time to head “home”. I was too full, that I didn't even have any cupcakes. An hour later, I was able to have a cookie. Thick puppies, gees. They are evenlly cooked throughout too. Soft, very nice. Probably loaded with butter. They taste quite good.
Oh, I had my second piece of that chocolate from Victoria. This time, it was a raspberry cream filling, with dark chocolate shell. The best one yet (out of the two). I like raspberries.
Well, tomorrow will be an interesting day. I still want to do a few things over here. I will head over to North Van to walk on the world's (largest? longest?) suspension bridge (touristy thing, I know), then to Gastown for the world's first steam clock (touristy thing, I know), and then visit “The Garage” and B.C. Place. After that, it's a fight out of town, to eventually reach (and pass) Mission, as I was warned that Mission has a few mischievous kids that like to cause trouble.
So, until next time.
Special hi to Nicole, Andrew, and Jane – all great folks I met during my Czech/Hungary/Germany trip 4 months ago. Thanks for the kind words. Nicole, I enjoyed that saying – two words that mean a whole paragraph in English. Similar to French writing on cereal boxes in Canada (19 French words = 10 English ones).
Tere tulemast, Jane, ema, isa, ode (Eva-Liis and Kerli). Suur tanu! See on toeline room. Ilus naba. Nagemiseni. Aitah, Pierre, Kanadas.
Talk to all of you soon. We'll see when I have access to Internet next.
Rockies in 2-3 days. Already?! I have a feeling it could be 8-10 hours of grinding. Ja, I'll know when I get there. I guess I am looking forward to it. I have to think of the downhill after that – zippy. Zoom Zoom Zoom.
Oh, Vancouver has a lot of people who need to have an Escalade all pimped out and cruise down the street with putting-out music blasting. Sad, sad. But, that is my opinion.
Cheers,
p2
8 comments:
Pierre Pierre Pierre, on s'ennuie de toi ici, les bières ont un petit arrière-gout quand elles ne sont pas consommées chez toi.
Vancouver semble vraiment fou! Près du pont où tu prévois aller, je crois qu'il y a une forêt avec les gros gros arbres dont j'ai oublié le nom (sequoia?).
J'espère que tu réussis à bien dormir dans les auberges.
Je passe une entrevue à l'hôpital de gatineau la semaine prochaine, pour un emploi d'été.
Si tu continues comme ça, tu vas avoir une longue liste de bières locales! Yeah.
Lâche pas, je t'aime!
Alex
Humm? I feel hungry now!
MT
Kallis Pierre,
TÄNAN! See on nii armas!
Sa tõesti panid mind naerma!
Aitäh, tänase chati eest!
Jõudu ja jaksu sulle!
Kalli-kalli-musi
Hey Pierre. We just finished reading all your blog entries and loved it! Your attention to detail and descriptions are terrific. Well, it sounds like you are having a super time. We envy your courage, passion and adventurous spirit and look forward to reading more of your adventures.
Chan and Denny
Tere Pierre!
Suured tänud tervituste eest! Naudi oma reisi ja jõua ilusti koju tagasi.
Tervitustega Jane ema
Hey Pierre!
I finally had a chance to check out your blog. I am enjoying the accounts of your travels. I am still hoping to join you at some point but work will dictate that. In the meantime, have a safe ride. I look forward to reading your posts as I intend to log on religiously from now on!
Gilles
Nice bike! ;o)
Sushi....arghhhhhh !!!
Post a Comment