Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 29 - White River to Chapeleau

White River to Chapeleau
235 km, 8.5 hrs
Sunny

Instead of heading North to Hornepayne (a ride I've done before when I did Toronto to Thunder Bay 10 years ago), I decided to head South to Wawa, eventually to hit Timmins via Chapeleau. New territory for me, so why not. Plus, I get to see what this big goose is in Wawa.

During the first part of the ride, I encountered two riders going the opposite way from me. I stopped, and we had a little chat. Julien, from Germany, and Tony, from London (ON) started from Toronto, on their way to Vancouver. Tony already had some issues with his achillies tendon, but keep on riding on it. Good luck. They have been gone for a week.

Later, I spotted a moose. I got a chance to take a few pictures of it. It didn't look like the healthiest moose – it's fur didn't look so sharp. But, it's the first moose I see in my life, so it's the best looking moose I've seen.

Wawa – got a chance to see the goose, and ate, before heading on the road again. Today, I was hoping on doing a bit more km than planned so I would have less to do the next day. That was the plan.

Between Wawa and Chapeleau, I saw another Watershed thingy. I also saw a honkin' big moose on the side of the road. Beautiful. Nice brown shiny coat. It got scared and ran up ahead in the ditch to the right of me, galivanted onto the road, crossed it, and ran into the woods to the left. I was a bit slow getting the cameray, but when I finally reached the trigger, I was able to get a few shots of his arse. My eyes were glued to the trees for the rest of the ride, in case I might see another one.

In Chapeleau, where there is no camp sites, I decided to go see the OPP (Europeans: OPP means Ontario Provincial Police) and ask them if I can sleep in their backyard. The guy almost let me do it, but eventually suggested I go into town and sleep in the park there. He assured me no one would bother me. I was hoping to tap into power somewhere to charge up all my electrical appliances (and send a message saying I am ok before I leave from Chapelau). But, no luck anywhere. Dang. I guess I'll have to try to do that the next day, when I reach the next spot of civilization (Foleyet), 100 km away.

So, slept well, and planned my long day ahead of me.

A bientot.

p
(nice little short entry, enjoy it while it lasts)

1 comment:

Boo said...

You should have told me you were going through Chapleau. I could have hooked you up with my friends there (by the way, the man is a OPP officer). That's too bad. They would have been great hosts.