Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 36 - Penetang to Toronto



Penetang to Toronto
138 km, Sunny
Windy – 15-20 km/h, cool wind, mainly headwind, some crosswind

I was expecting to ride 200 k today. Since I am staying at my “little” cousin Shawn's place, just on the outskirts of Toronto, it's a very short day. I guess when I transfer to Anna's and Andrew's place tomorrow, I'll have to do a good 50 k. If I bike that much, it is considered a rest day or a light day?

The kids wake up at six in the morning, so they can be out of the house by 7 am. Crazy. Poorane. I got up to spend some time with them, and then returned to bed for another 90 minutes before getting ready to head out. As always, whenever I stay at family or friend's place, I tend to leave a bit later than planned.

I checked the weather network this morning to see what kind of winds to expect. Not the best news – expected headwind all the way. Luckily, they were advertising 10-20 km/h winds, nothing major, but just consistant.

On the ride to Barrie, I saw more wildlife: giraffe, anteloppes, those one-hump camels, and some deer. Canadian animals at it's best.

I remember biking to Barrie, 50 km away, was a big accomplishment. This time around, it seemed quite short and very feasable. I think I am finally getting close to being into shape. I should start training a bit more since I have a race in just over a week.

I zig-zagged a bit in Barrie to find some back roads out of the city to stay off the main roads heading towards Toronto. I was able to find a nice road and ride it to the end, before being dumped onto Hwy 11 near Bradford. That's where the traffic started. Tons of traffic. Luckily, there was a decent shoulder to ride on, and the drivers are fine.

Near Aurora, I was on top of a hill, where I saw a nice little view of “Taranna”. I could see the CN Tower, and some big buildings. I'm probably a good 30-40 k away from the downtown core (that's a guess, I could be wrong, it could only be 20 k or so). Still, it's far, and I can see the CN Tower – that puppy is big. Apparently, it can be seen from Hamilton on a clear day.

I am currently in the lobby of Shawn's appartment building. He's playing baseball until 10. This place seems pretty posh for a little hunter boy from Manitouwadge.

So, nothing major to report today, except that I am still alive, had a relatively easy (short) ride, and that I will have a “rest” day tomorrow checking out a few things. On the menu – drop off the bike at Andrew/Anna's place, head downtown to go up the CN Tower, maybe go for a tour at a micro-brewery (Amsterdam breweries is the most probable choice, maybe Steamwhistle, maybe both!?!).

One last note about Dizzie – she was a good versatile bike. She was used for racing, for training, converted to a fast touring bike. She did it all. From now on, the bikes I will have can not do it all. I'll have a nice little puppy strictly for road riding (training), but can't be used for touring. The current bike I have will probably only be for touring (with a bit of road riding for the rest of the year). That's all I wanted to say about her for tonight.

So, another few days until I am in Ottawa for a little rest. It'll be really nice to try to see a bunch of you guys, do some mountain biking, start my house hunting, rest up a bit, and get ready for the race week-end.

So, here's to another few days. Get the beer ready, I need to pack on a few pounds. If I base myself on the scales at my mom's place compared to the one when I did the bungee jump, I lost a max of 13 lbs (8-10 lbs I'd say is pretty accurate).

A tres bientot,

p2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pierre,

We are leaving for Albion Thursday afternoon. Our campsite (with another Tag-Team from Ottawa) is #58 (2 sites from KHS Canada).

Cheers,
Mario

Anonymous said...

Alors Pierre, arrivée à Ottawa lundi le 16?
Tiens moi au courant, je te veux.
À bientôt.
Alex