Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Day 37 - Toronto to Seeley's Bay

Toronto to Seeley's Bay
11h15m
Overcast at first, sunny most of the day, muggy all day
Winds – behind me, SW 15 k/h

Firstly, thanks to Anna and Andrew to let me crash at their place last night, and to Shawn, accepting me inviting myself to crash at his place the night before.

Secondly, it was Friday the 13th yesterday.

Third, congrasts to all who did Rideau Lakes Tour last week-end. I forgot to write that earlier. I know this girl who was telling everybody this year that she was going to do that race. It's not a race, it's a tour. What a goof.

I realized something when I reached Oshawa: Toronto to Kingston was not 300 k as I thought, but only 260. The first time I did Ottawa to Toronto straight, it must have been 425, and not 475 as I thought. So, I always thought there was 300 k seperating the two, I was wrong (luckily). But, Ottawa to Newmarket is 475 k.

The plan today was to do reach Kingston at the 300 k mark, and sleep at my usual spot near just off the 15. But, only being 260 k, I had to continue. I didn't mind, as it would tap into the km I have to do tomorrow.

Final verdict – 303 km. In one week, I hope to ride twice as long (time wise), and do as much km. We'll see. At the moment, I am around (just below) the 6200 km mark. I expected Ottawa to be the 6000k mark. Not bad. I guess I am over half done. If I dont do the detours (Gaspe, Cape Breton, all Newfoundland), it'll be a lot shorter. At least I have options.

Today was a great ride. Kurt asked me if this trip is doing wonders for my fitness. Today was the first day that things felt really good. They felt good before, but today is a bit different. I feel like I have the endurance, and still have some pep when I want to put the hammer down. I am ready for the 24 hr race – I have an amazing support crew (Dave, and the helpers from around the campsites), I have experience, the mindset, and I believe I have the fitess now. But, I am missing one key ingredient – the bike isn't ready until the 24th. So, I will have to figure out something. I would really hate to have to cancel the race as I planned many things around this (ordering the bike early so I'd get it on time, leaving for the trip when I did, doing the long milage days in North Western Ontario all to get back in time for the race). So, some stress that I get to deal with when I get back. I'm sure I'll make it work.

The ride today was swell. Not much pictures though. The first 60 k were basically in the Greater Toronto Area – I finally got out of the big civilization just past Oshawa. After that, they were nice roads going through towns every 10-20 km. Brighton and Colburne were very nice towns to bike through. Well worth a second look.

Few mechanicals today. For some reason, I busted my front shifter cable again. I've never had that happen in my entire cycling “career”, but twice in 1 week. Very odd. If it happens again on this trip, I might be the probable cause, but it could also be the extra resistance of the bent cable due to the front pannier. I am searching for things to blame it on...

Trenton – known as a base, but unofficially known as the city with major sunken manholes (up to 3 inches). I caught one (had no choice), which I tried to bunny-hop (side note, try to bunny-hop a hole with a 50 lbs rear-end). I thought I was sure to flat on that puppy, but didn't. I thought I must of broken a spoke, but didn't. Both my panniers came out (two of the three attach points) from the impact. Shortly after (20 k), I felt my rear was a bit wobbly – the wheel was a bit untrue again. All the spoke had tension. Just a bit later, I noticed the rim being ripped appart at one of the spokes. Yikes, not good. I took out my nipple wrench and trued it on the spot – taking away a bunch of tension from that ripped rim spot. It seems to be holding up, even though I had to redo that getting out of Kingston. There is another spot that is starting to do the same, so this concerns me a bit. Worse comes to worse, I hope I make it to Smith Falls where Greg has his bike shop. I hope he's open tomorrow. It's a play-it-by-ear thing. I just have to make it “home”, and then I get to rebuild a new wheel.

What else to report today. It was a humid one, very muggy. High of 25, felt like 29 with the humidex.

Once I hit the 300 k mark, I saw a sign for a campground nearby. Good timing. Decent spot – mainly seasonals (tons of trailers, I am the only tent), people that have been here every summer for 15 years. Had a nice shower – warm at first, then purposely cold to cool me off.

Food today – I am trying to finish off my food so I have less to lug to Ottawa. I purchased some honey-maple ham, some Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, and made sandwich (with mustard) with the cinnamon-raisin bagels I had. I wasn't sure of the combo (the idea), but it actually turned out to be quite tasty. Very flavourful.

Well, approaching bedtime.

The plan tomorrow (hoping there's no fudge factor) – stop by at the gardens on Prince Of Whales to take a bunch of pictures, head to the parliament buildings to get a picture or two, then off to my bro and his family. I will be there by supper. But, if things dont go well, I will try to head there directly.

See a bunch of you very soon. I can't wait.

On Sunday, around suppertime, I will post the number(s) to get a hold of me. Email always works, but will be slower.

One dodo left. Next stop, Ottawa.

p

No comments: