Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 60 - Englishtown to North Sydney (and beyond)

Englishtown to North Sydney
140 km, sunny
Ferry to Port-aux-basques (NFLD) overnight

Short version: lobster dinner at noon, odometre showed 10000km, ferry to Newfoundland, nine provinces down, new time zone.

Regular version.

Another lazy morning. I haven't slept well for the past two nights. The wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead. I left for Baddeck around 11 am, did a quick stop to Giant McAskill's Museum, then rode 30 km for a lobster lunch in Baddeck. Tasty. A glass of white wine and deserts (cherry pie, and ginger cake) was also at my table.

I took a quick jaunt in Alexandre Graham Bell Museum. Not much excitement there – bunch of plaques with stories, but I must say that he was an interesting fellow. The first Canadian flight was also here, in 1909.

After lunch, I continued South-West for another 30 k to take another cable ferry to the South shore of the body of water I was riding along. From there, it would be a 80 k ride North-East, to North Sydney. Maybe 90 minutes after leaving Baddeck, I just didn't feel right. Stomach was not sure what to do, fatigue was a bit there (yawning), and motivation was low. I just had to ride to get where I wanted to go. Luckily, after 90 minutes of feeling like that, with no bad reactions, I started to feel better. It could have been the lobster dinner, the water I was drinking, the past few days of less-than-needed sleep, or a combo of all. But, I must say that I dont think I'll have a tasty lobster dinner before a 100 k ride – not recommended.

My computer hit 9999.9 km, and I watched it go to 10000. I thought it would roll over to zero, but nope. That's cool. So, I am approximately at the 9830 km mark.

The pamphlet I had on the ferry said that it would leave around 23h30, but the departure is at 1 am. I just have to kill time in the meantime. I hope to get a nap somewhere before the departure. The sleeper cabins were all sold out, so I hope to be able to crash on the floor somewhere. The trip will be around 7 hours. I just took a shower at the ferry terminal, and now I just have to wait.

Let's talk about xCanada trips. There are many levels, and all of them are cool. Usually the departure is from Vancouver, some leave from Victoria, and then there's the odd one that leaves from Tofino. Final destinations are sometimes Toronto, a lot end up in Halifax, and the rest tend to finish in Newfoundland. Now, to get to St-John's, there's two ways: the short ferry (to Port-aux-basques), where you still have to drive through the province, and then the long ferry (15 hours?), which lands you around 60 k from St-Johns. Many folks take the long ferry and hike up to St-John's to complete their xCanada trip. But, I think if someone has the legs, the time, the money, and motivation, the short ferry should be taken. I feel it's more of an authentic xCanada trip. But, any xCanada trip is amazing, don't get me wrong. For me, there's only one way to do this, hence the route I am taking. That's all. I want to ride every single connecting inch, from coast to coast.

Interesting new way of crossing NFLD – some guy I spoke to said he knew this guy who would hop from one ferry to another, connecting all the little towns south on the island. On the map, you see a ferry route connecting those little towns. Cool.

So, by the time most of you read this, I'll be on the rock, and in a time zone that's 30 minutes off of all you guys. I guess they don't deserve a whole hour change.

Carole – your draw dropped? Do you mean your drawers dropped? JNS, you're on to me. I am in Kanata, and using photoshop to put myself in pics. I'm actually just eating pizza everyday, gaining weight. Tubby. As for bike riding with both hands – that's for sissies. No risk in that. Glad I entertain you folks. Matante Jocelyne, my buns might be firmer now, do you still want to grab a handful? (ok, I wont bother saying more on this).

Well, take it easy, and enjoy the start of the work-week. I'll be joining you in that mundane routine very soon. Odd to say, but I can't wait.

p

7 comments:

Boo said...

oops must have been thinking of something else when I typed that. LOL

WOW, already on the ferry!!! I can't believe it! Looking forward to seeing more of your pics and hearing more of your stories when you get back. I know one little girl will be happy to have you back here.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Pierre,

Can you PLEASE try to be a sissy with bad weather and road conditions!!!

ox,
JT

Anonymous said...

Pierre!!!
shit, le temps passe vite, t déjà rendu à Terre-neuve! Bravo!!! C fregen awesome ça!!!

je m'excuse de ne pas t'avoir suivi quand t'étais à Chéticamp, shu certaine que les parents à Rem auraient été très heureux de t'accueillir... sorry :(

Keep it up, apprécie ta dernière province... this is one hell of a kickass adventure and the finish line is just around the corner!!!
MJ

Anonymous said...

Well how the rock?

Hope you had a good trip on the ferry.

Looking forward to more pictures also.

And I'm sure Tante Jocelyne isn't the only one who will be looking at your "rear" when you get back...lol

Brenda-Lee

Anonymous said...

Salut Pierre,

Now that you are on the last leg of your trip we are all bringing up your "rear" so to speak.

Great video, gave me a thrill your crazy ----!

I had a great trip riding, as in moto, uo the norht shore of Quebec.

Woohoo!!!

That smile must be growing by the minute...a whole new crack...about that rear...

Sillyness,

Dominique

Shorty said...

almost there buddy, you are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Pierre! T'es rendu loin, dude, vraiment loin. Je ne sais pas à quoi tu pensais quand tu étais à Tofino, à propos de ce que tu allais vivre, mais maintenant, tu dois être capable de faire un petit bilan et de te dire: motherkisser que je suis cool.
J'ai été voir Paul Mcartney à Québec...malade! Penny lane, is in my ears, is in my eyes.
À bientôt,
Alex