Swift Current to Mortlach (Basant campground)
8h 45 mins
Overcast
Windy, again, 35-40 km/h with gusts of 50 m/h
Click on title for pics.
Similar to my mind today, this entry will most likely go all over the place, so here goes.
Midnight, chillin' in am/pm.
I was really slow to get out of bed this morning, as I knew what was ahead of me today – stong headwinds with some tailwind on top of that. Even during breakfast time at Husky's, I was hesitant to get out of there. But I did. Plus, I thought of two things: a) I have to bike as I am on a bike trip, b) what would of the great ones before me done (Tanya and Al) – they would of hit the road as well.
It was quite windy there that men were holding their hats while walking, and I saw one old little lady hold her wig so it wouldn't fly away. Funny (in a way). The big Canadian flag was flying straight – that's a big puppy that needs a lot of wind to get straight.
Husky's restaurant. Well, the food are basically like the waitresses – you are not looking for quality, but something that might do the trick. I actually didn't finish all my breakfast today, a weird concept.
The ride was a bit of a grind for a while. Those wind were strong, and the hills were ever-so present again. I wont go on about “flat Sask”. The picture that is probably at the start of the entry was a hill that I took a picture from near the top of a little hill right before it. When I reached the top, it was 6-7 songs later, so probably 25-30 minutes later.
I caught up to another couple of cyclists today. I caught up with Michelle, who was riding with her “friend” Phil. They are both from Toronto, and are riding there from Vancouver (except the Rockies, where they took the bus through them). I think she was about to crack, just riding 400 metres behind him. I can imagine there comes a time when you want to be appart from someone on these trips. She had enough of things, and she wanted a break from him. I left her on her own and caught up with the fellow. He stopped, and we had a longer chat until she caught up to us. He was hardcore – riding with these 12-hole boots, flat pedals, and the bike all loaded up. He was pretty easy going, which probably fueled her bitterness of the day. I asked how it was coming along, and if they were getting along. Her reply: “I hate him”. (I am laughing when I write this). She said it a few times, and he laughed.
I can imagine trips like those, or the competitions like The Amazing Race, can be a make-or-break for some friends or couples. Especially on a day like today. The more the wind gets to you, with those hills too, you're about to snap at anything and anyone. I think by the end of the day, hell, halfway, she probably lost it. The worse part of the ride was coming up (I was only 45 minutes or so into the ride). I hope things are well. Coming up very soon for them was a long hill (talk about it later), and a bit further up, a 20 km or so stretch of headwind, on a completely straight road.
I believe I have the personality and so-called wisdom (for lack of a better word) to be able to adapt to such situations with someone. I'd like to test that theory. I don't lose track of the goal, I have a lot of patience, and I realize the importance of certain things (like friendship) that I will try my best not to let minor things damage that. I guess the other thing is that both parties involved must want the same thing, and realize it too (like relationships). But, I guess we find out eventually if both parties are on the same wave-length. Can't wait to get a great gal, and get that connection where we both work on the same goal. Hell, maybe even go on a cross South America bike trip to test things out.... Well, maybe not.
Tangent, oh well. No alcohol involved tonight either.
Due to the constant howling of the wind in my ears, and the wide shoulders of the road, I decided to put both earphones. I would be able to “zone out” a bit more and focus less on the wind.
During the ride, the mp3 player started playing Pierre Lapointe songs back to back. All the songs in that album have “Pierre Lapointe” first, so when the mp3 player plays all the songs in alphabetical order, I get to hear the whole album. It gave me the idea of listening to a bunch of frenchie albums for a while. Saez (France) was next. Not the most happy music, but it is mainly mellow, so it fit the bill for today. I didn't want too aggressive or poppy, as I wanted to just ride easy today (I had no choice). After 3 albums by Saez, I was ready for another album. I didn't have any other French albums. Music story to be continued soon.
After 5 hours of biking, the average speed was 15 k/h. To put things in perspective, picture biking up any of the hills in the Gatineau Park (usually 15 k, minimum), and riding like that for 5 hours. Another example: our walking speed is an average of 6 km/h (not a fast walk). A fast walk might be 8 k/h. I wasn't going much faster than that. I also thought that if I stopped pedaling while going down a small hill, it would take me 10 seconds to come to a complete stop. I was wrong, it was 7 seconds when I tried it. Pedaling, I could maintain 15 km/h (that is using my 3rd easiest gear). Uphills, the wind also against me, I would go into the single digits (something that only the Coquahalla Highway, the last part, did to me). This was the hardest 5 hours of biking I've ever done. I would actually stop here and there to take breaks (mainly mental breaks). It was also neat to watch the tumbling weeds being blown down the road. I would dodge a few here and there.
I was hoping that I could get to Moose Jaw (175 km), but settled on the furthest I could get for today. I just had to put in my time (not km, but time today). I set my mind on over 100 km (a good 7 hours at expected 15 k/h). If I was lucky, I'd reach this campsite outside of Moose Jaw (145 km from Swift Current) before I either crack or night falls on me. As the trip went on, I started thinking of other places (closer) to stop for the night – Parkbeg (135 km), Secreton (spelled wrong on the map) at 125, Chaplin (115 km), or worse comes to worse, Morse (90 km). During those first 5 hours, I thought Morse was looking good (and the final destination). Lunch number 2 was in Morse. I decided to keep going, as there was still some daylight for a good 3 hours.
Near Morse, there was this dried-up lake that looked like it was snow-covered. Nope. It's actually an alkalyne dried-up lake. The wind was blowing this fine white powder into town too. I covered up my mouth with my glove to hopefully avoid that stuff in my lungs. I don't think that would be good.
Just up the road, some more white stuff. Snow? Snow banks? Nope. Sulfur. Chemical plant there. Plus, there's actually fishing in that lake. I would not want to eat a fish that was swimming in that sulphur lake. (is it sulfur or sulphur?).
Oh, Roch, yesterday, I think I saw that “junk yard” of old farm equipment and such outside of Swift Current. When I stopped to take a break, hence my head was not staring down at the ground, I saw something that I believe you were talking about. See pics from the day before to see if it's what you were thinking of.
Oh, I forgot to write yesterday that Medecine Hat apparently has the most summer sunshine in all Canada; 1440 hours.
Mario – the third feat I am hoping on achieving isn't back-to-back days of double century, but a triple century. We'll see if it happens before I hit Ottawa. Most of my bike trips are 200k/day (average). Examples: Toronto to Thunder Bay (2000 km in 10 days), Ottawa to Halifax (1400 km in 7 days), Grand Falls NB to Ottawa (900-950 km in 4 days), and Ottawa to Toronto/Newmarket (2x), which was around 475 km within a 25 hr period. Two centuries two days in a row – for the birds, for the birds. Really, it is a big thing, and I am lucky to have the health (and little legs) to be able to do that. I used to be alright for cycling, I just hope I find that old form again.
Pascale Picard was next for album to listen to. She's from Quebec City, but sings in Anglais. It turned out to be a great move. Not too poppy, agressive, mellow, or bitter. It actually took my mind almost completely away from the task at hand. I had a great memory trip to the supper/concert that Saturday night. That was basically my birthday week-end too. I thought of every single one of the lovely folks that were there. Funny things too, like the medium-rare chicken, that piteful tomato salad, the pitcher on my head, black ligthing, the dancing at both Zaphod's and Mercury Lounge. Fun time. The re-visiting during the biking today was awesome. I miss al the folks that were there. i also miss someone, en eesti.
The biking during that time was great. My average speed went from 15 to 15.4 km/h in one hour. I stopped for another coffee break in Chaplin (7th hr of biking), where I decided to keep on truckin'. Music cued up were: Beth Orton's Trailer Park, Hawksley Workman's Between The Beautifuls (Canadian), and then something a bit more trippy – Recoil's Subhuman. The latter has 7 tracks, but 5 of them are over 10 minutes long (the other two are only 7 minutes). It is great to get into that and just zone out. One of their other album, Liquid, is an amazing album with so much variety. Very poignant. Unfortuately, I dont know anyone who can rip it, and it is not found on the p2p sharing websites.
Weird – when Beth sang “I wish I never saw the sunshine, so I wouldn't mind the rain”, it started to rain (drizzle) a bit, and would do that here and there until I got to the campsite.
The ride started getting faster after 7 hours, as the wind dropped down to maybe 20k/h (manageable). I decided to go all the way to the campsite just outside of Moosejaw (the 145 km goal). It would be tough, as I would probably have to bike borderline in the dark. Speed was starting to pick up.
The last hour was great. Plus, when I saw the sign for the campground, 7 km away, I dropped the hammer and just TT (time trialed) there. What didn't help was the mainly uphill, but I gave it all I could. Pascale re-entered the playlist to bring me home. The quads definitely feel it during that stint. Felt great. It was also dark when I arrived on site. I am happy that I arrived where I wanted to get. The winds cooperated at the end, thanks. Reaching the site, I said a little “woo hoo”, and I was eager to eat and have my chocolate milk (for you Ka).
Final numbers – 145 km, 8h45 mins, average speed at 16.5 k/h. This is the first time during this trip that the average is below the twenties, dang.
So, now at the campground, tapped into some power to recharge the mp3, and getting ready for bed. I couldn't find the showers here tonight, but managed to get cleaned up with a sink (with only cold water, dang). Laundry (sink method) was also done.
Tomorrow, off to Moose Jaw, then a detour to get to Regina. I found out a special surprise that I will try to fit in tomorrow. Things should (hopefully) be fine with the wind situation, but we'll see what happens when I am on the road.
Side note – this is the longest entry yet (sorry, in a way), the longest bike trip yet (I haven't calculated the exact km as I think my odometre is off currently), and the longest time I have been away from a home base.
This entry has been more structured (believe it or not) than what was going through my head all day. Lucky you (well, you probably still read the whole thing). Sorry, I do hope some stuff was entertaining.
Bonne nuit, il est un peu tard. Ca va etre dur me lever demain matin.
Take care, and until next time.
p
(note - when this was uploaded, I am safe in Regina. I am waiting a bit (maybe a day) before sending you the next post. Regina is a "rest day", which means I had to bike 70 k today. Winds - still strong, still headwind, but tomorrow it's the same + rain in afternoon)
3 comments:
LOL! Trop ironique! J'étais en train de boire un lait au chocolat lorsque j'ai lu ton entrée!! J'ai presque crachée ma gorgée de choco lait lorsque je l'ai lue!! haha! We're connecting on some weird telepathic communication here...
I think that was my favorite entrie of yours, not because of the chocolate milk thing! You describe what you're going through very well!
xo ;-)
Tere jälle,
Tore et sa said vöimaluse midagi jälle siia üles riputada. Ma olin seda pikisilmi oodanud. Aga seda sa vist tead.
Minu arvates on need sissekanded isegi liiga lühikesed, sest nad saavad lugedes nii kiiresti läbi. Ma vist peaks sulle stopperiga aega võtma kui vähe aega sinu sissekannete lugemine aega võtab - sinu statistika jaoks. Aga nad on väga toredad ning sa suudad ikka naeratuse minu näole tuua! Aitäh!
Kalli-kalli-musi-musi
You'll be happy to know that I read the entire post! :o) and yes, it was a long one!
Happy to hear that you are still safe! I'll have a peek at the photos tomorrow with the kids. They are loving the photos. Especially when they see you.
Hugs from all of us (well maybe not your brother)....
xoxo
Post a Comment