(click on titles for pictures)
(updates sent from Nipigon, on the first of June. Day not done, yet)
Ignace to Thunder Bay
228 km, 8.5 hrs
Overcast at first, sunny after, and hot the last 2 hours
occasional light drizzle
winds (15 k/h) behind me (tail and cross-tail)
I thought it'd be a light day (225 km expected), with favourable winds. I decided to ride easy – sit back in the saddle, get a slower cadence, and just sit up for most of the ride. Nothing too strenuous; I knew I'd get to T-Bay by night fall. Plus, I knew I'd lose an hour with the time-zone change. Leaving early made me relax a bit.
What I did enjoy was the start of the hills. It really breaks up the ride, the monotony. I like the uphills, and I definitely enjoy the rewards after them too. No more of “maximum speed of 30” as I had in the prairies, now I can hit 60. Just wait until the bigger hills come on the other side of T-Bay.
Nothing exceptional to report for the first 100 k or so (except that it was just that, 105 km of no towns, just typical little lakes and streams, rocks and trees, and the traffic). After lunch, a sign caught my eye: “Fudge” (at a coming-up store). Twist my arm. Yes, I stopped by and bought a block of it, and started munching on it immediately (accepting the fact that I might have a sugar rush/crash later). No, no crashes.
The time zone actually had a sign, so I stopped to take a few pictures (and eat more chocolate fudge). Good ol' Canadian boy who established the time zones around the world. What I can't understand is why didn't Flemming just put those damn time zones along political borders (say between provinces instead of in the middle of some), and why did he just give Newfoundland 30 minute difference? Lots of things in the world I don't know.
I also saw continental watershed for Atlantic (I believe) and Artic. I was hoping to see that in the Rockies (as I did see them in the Rockies in Colorado, but not in Canada).
Arriving at the junction of the 11 and 17, things just flew from there. It was mainly downhill (with some little tough uphill, notebly Strawberry Hill, the biggest hill I've encountered this side of the Rockies). It was a blast riding those fast rolling hills. I thought the wind was pushing me, but when I stopped, no winds were felt.
On Hwy 102 (sort-of a bypass of T-Bay), I was looking for Dawson Road to turn as my cousin stays there. Biking along, biking, biking, waiting. A pick-up pulls over – it's Mike. he informs me that I passed his house. As it turns out, Dawson Road IS Hwy 102. Luckily for me, he was just doing some errands and spotted this geek dressed in spandex biking by. Sure enough, it was me. Pleasant surprise.
Tonight, I get to stay at Michael (cousin) and Bonnie's place, and meet their cute little boy. Another steak supper, with bacon-wrapped baked potatoes on the bbq – what a good idea. Tasted delicious too. Watch a bit of hockey, talk about things, lovely evening.
I've really been lucky with the great hospitality I've received so far: Paul in Kamloops, Roch and Ali in Crossfield, Yvette and Dale in Winnipeg, and of course, Mike and Bonnie over here. I get to enjoy a rest day plus visiting many uncle, aunts, cousins, and grandmas in 3 days or so. Actually, two days later is a rest day at my mom's and aunt, then 2-3 days later is my sister and the little terrors (love them brats), then a rest day in Toronto visiting the city, and more importantly, friends in the city. Two more days after that, I am in Ottawa, for a bigger rest (and lots of errands and visits, with some biking too). So, I think things are going to fly in the next two weeks.
What a ride.
Tomorrow, beautiful Lake Superior, and Terry Fox tourist spots.
I bought an Ontario map today (I was using the tail end of the Manitoba map for a bit of NW Ontario). I can now see that Kenora isn't on Lake Superior. But, thanks to the “Anonymous” person for writing that. I also noticed that I will not be heading down a very (+++) beautiful section of Lake Superior – towards Wawa. I will miss the big Wawa goose, and the opportunity to dip my big toe in one of the coldest waters Canada has to offer. But, I will get to hike up North a bit and visit family. Sweet.
Well, I will be counting sheep in a few minutes.
As always, i hope you guys are doing quite well. I get to think of you guys during the long days.
Cheers,
Pierre
Introduction
Allo, hello, tere,
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Pierre, c'est Alex.
T'es en feu, man! J'espère qu'on va avoir la chance de se voir durant ton passage à Ottawa.
J'ai été voir une game des Red Sox de Boston!
Tu dois vraiment commencer à voir ce que tu es entrain d'accomplir, avec ton arrivée en Ontario et tout ce que ça signifie.
Tu peux être fier!
Je t'aime.
Hi Pierre
Congratulations. You are going like the wind. It's so hard to beleive you have gone halfway across this country in so little time.
I am proud of you son.
Take good care.
d
3-day Math:
230+249.5+228= >707km !?!?! :o
Legs are on FIRE my friend!
MT
Salut Pierrot
You're really doing well in On. I liked your blog mixing Turn the Page with your daily route. I guess you were missing your little Paige. So no desert at Michael's!!!
I have cold beer here for you but you need to tell me your favorite one so you can really enjoy it by the pool. Anxious to see you. Keep safe.
Love you
Mom
I had the same thing happen to me with 2 songs. Big headwind (Ok, gusts of 40K - I promised not to complain)and my ipod starting playing Bob Seger "Against the Wind". Another time it started to rain and BJ Thomas "Raindrops keep falling on my head". Don't even ask me why I had the latter song and not only that, I listened to it! Must download the William Shatner CD you burned for me :) Love the pics. I can see
Canada the easy way! Take care,
Nancy
Salut Pierre
You will have to slow down a little. If not I am sure you will fly right over Ottawa without stopping. Sure beats the unicycle.
This is quite a projet, and so fast too. There are millions of us following you on your trip. Keep it up, et félicitation.
Florent (Stittsville)
Yes Pierre,
As Florent says there are millions of us cheering you on. You do not see it as you are alone on the road but you feel it. The fans just keep pouring in, standing room only. Your stage is set as the songs keep coming to you. Feel the fans as you take the stage onto a new place every day and night...
Dominique
Were you missing little Paige? (turn the page) She had a conversation with you on the phone again the other night. Not sure what you were telling her but she was laughing and enjoying the conversation. ;o)
Kids are looking forward to your arrival! It's getting closer! It's gone by so fast!
Post a Comment