Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 8 - Coquihalla Hwy - Merrit, B.C.


Hello there,

Zopkios Rest Stop – Merritt
75 km.
Slightly overcast, not much wind.

I guess it's a light day, sorry to disappoint.

The picture is what I saw first thing when I unzipped the tent.

The day started sweet-bitter-sweet.

I unzip the tent, and see a nice spectacular view. The mountain with trees and snow all over the place was a sweet to see. I've never been around mountains that much (a few years ago in Colorado), but never in the winter. It's nice. I think it also reflects with the numerous pictures I take along the road.

I was almost done packing, and went to get the dry-bag full of my food that I stored hidden in the bathroom. It wasn't there. After checking everywhere, including garbages and outside over the banks, I asked that chip stand about it. They informed me that the garbage guy came by 30 minutes ago, and they usually return after a few hours. All my food was there, including two chocolates that I didn't have a chance to taste yet, and some scented products (tooth paste, deodorant, soap).

After cursing a bit, I started working on plans. Finished packing, started writing a note for them to give me a call to inform me what happened, and the guy shows up. Sweet. He found it, and kept it in storage on site. I am re-united with my food. I could finally have my breakfast.

I can feel myself getting left handed.

I left for Merritt shortly after. Within 15 km, all the snow disappeared. I did also reach the peak – 1244 metres (over 4000 feet). Nice, felt good. I have no idea at what altitude I started (close to sea level, or just 1000 metres). Now, I didn't know if I was going downhill for a while. Not really, as it turns out. Sure, a few nice downhills, but a few climbs too. The last 10 km into Merritt was a treat – all downhill.

In Merritt, it's a bit of a country town. There's a big country music festival every year, and they built a little Country Walk of Fame with it. George Jones and a bunch of other names I can't recall (but recognize) have been here. I'll go around and take a few pics (mainly for my mom and memere Boucher). Merritt is also the town that is blown up in the pilot of Smallville. What else, oh, the only official Elvis mural in the World is here too. I think it'll be a honkin' good time tonight, yee haa.

I searched for a massage therapist around here – the physio place they worked at just burnt down a few weeks ago, and they are in transition. I did get a card for a woman who does relaxation treatments, and can even come to my house. I can just see this – showing up at my tent, with candles, lavander stuff, etc. (just like the treatments I tend to do).

I arrived here quite early (1 pm). I am just killing time in an internet cafe, and finishing up today's blog entry. I will wandder around town later on, check out some murals, parks, and then scope out my place to crash. Since it's Friday (I hear), I get to scope out the local schools and crash in the back. Free, and quiet. I found that works quite well, but I've only tried it in the summertime. Now, I have to wait for the week-end.

I wanted to ride the Coquahalla Highway because of how Dzintra Teed raved about it when we were in school in Toronto. For years, I wanted to do this. I think she spoke of another highway too, but I don't know which one it is. She's in B.C. (last I heard), m.i.a. I miss that girl. So, I get to think of her during this part of the trip. I hope I get to get a hold of her one day to touch base.

Tomorrow, it'll be a little detour, the 5a, to Kamloops. It is a rest day. I already have my supper planned there (following a tip from the lady at the information centre), and will enquire about another fun thing to do. Unfortunately for you guys, it wont be as exciting as the bungee jump (but still rockin', at least for me and maybe a few of you guys).

Dad and Roch – Calgary next Saturday. I plan on arriving there on Friday night, and spend the whole day doing some touristy thing in town. Crash there at night again, then head East on Sunday. More details to come later.

Food – Classico di Parma tomato pasta sauce (store bought) is always great. Today I had the four cheese flavour. Just plain pasta for today. This morning, I boiled water to put on the oatmeal. It's a bit more filling that way. I tend to (and prefer) just using cold water, but the best is with cold milk. Tonight, The lady at the info centre highly suggested (off the record) that the Sushi joint in town is excellent. So, sushi it is. I am saving Greek for tomorrow night, and the Canadian-Chinese food for (probably) the prairies where I might not have much variety. I can't wait to eat sweet and sour chicken balls, some chicken fried rice, and a couple egg rolls. The two chocolates left. Nice, real nice. The vanilla cream, quite tasty. I think I prefered (out of the two) the almond brittle (is that the right word? I can't remember). It was great desert. No more chocolate now. Maybe I'll find a beer for tonight, to sample more of the area's beers. I would like to try wine too, especially being near the Okanagen Valley, a wine-belt. But, I dont think it is wise to polish off a whole bottle by myself.

Well, time to check out the town, and head towards the Japanese sushi place.

Bonne soiree, head ood,

p2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Pierre,

Very warm and sunny greetings from Norway!

I am sorry to tell you but these people over here does not know anything about your cupcakes. You can get them here like anywhere else in the world. But it is nothing special - at least these people say that with whom I have been talking. Norway and also Sweden are more know about their flat breads.

Sweet dreams!

Kalli-kalli-musi,
Sinu paikesepaiste

Anonymous said...

Oh I don't know but I think there is something quite special about Pierre's cupcakes...such a cute word too...might stick to you my friend...

I too know of what you are experiencing, although it was a trek in the hymalayas and the only food were lentils and rice...quite tasty though...

a couple of quotes for you:

" I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details"
Albert Einstein

"We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them".
Kahlil Gibran

"Treat people as if they where what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being".
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Cheers,
DB