Val Gagne to Latchford
191 km, 8h15m
overcast, very humid
headwinds (15-25 k/h) for most of the day
Typical start of the day when I stay over at family and friends. But, no regrets at all. Left late, which tapped into the biking hours, but as the end of the day unfolded, that was good.
D-Day today, and I believe it's my uncle Jean-Marc's birthday (memere was saying that yesterday). In honour of D-Day, coincidence actually, I biked by Vimy Ridge Road.
For a while in NW Ontario, it didn't feel like I was in Ontario. It was more like B.C.ish. But, these neck of the woods, I know I am in Ontario. In fact, I am in the area where I was born and raised.
Englehart Hospital – in exactly 1 day, back 26 years, I was born there. My bro and sis were also born there. I also visited the hockey arena where I started playing hockey. It is not like I remembered it.
In Earlton, where I spent the first 10 years of my life, I visited my elementary school, the Bison at the zoo, my dad's old body shop, and of course, the house we stayed in. Those trees are hugh now, they hide the house. The gas tanks in front of the house are no longer there.
Other fun parts I visited were: a) the bridge where it has been in re-occuring dreams (same dream 3x, but it hasn't happened in probably 10 years now), and b) the railroad track where I took a wipe-out when I was learning to ride a bike with hand brakes. For the latter, I was used to back-pedaling to stop. I remember going “fast” and those tracks approahing, so I started back-pedalling to stop – didn't work, I hit those tracks, and I probably scraped my knee or something. Fun little memory.
Food – another installment, since it's been a while. The Kenogamy Kitchen is a good place to eat, and very cheap. Dont miss out on their home-made pies (coconut cream was tasty). But, the most important thing to write about (food wise for today) is: Thornloe Cheese Factory, and their cheese curds. Squeekiness factor = very high. Very tasty. Gotta have it if you're in the area. All local. Better than St. Albert's cheese.
I was hoping to reach Martin River, or at least Temogamy for a campsite. After reaching Latchford, I knew I had 30 k to go. But, light was getting scarce, so I doubled-back to find a spot to sleep for the night. Luckily I did, as 30 minutes later, +++ rain, thunder, lightning and winds were very present. I found a spot at the information centre, set up under a roof thingy covering pic-nic tables (what the hell is the word I am looking for?) So, I should be dry in the morning.
I took a few pics of the tent under that canopy thing, and was able to get a bit of lightning in the background. Neat.
I did have access to some power at the information centre to charge up the mp3 player (topped-up), but there is no Internet here. Obviously, there is no shower tonight. Too bad, as today was quite humid, and the clothes just stuck to the body all day. It is, I believe, the first day that I was sweating on the bike.
Throwing an idea out there as some made some noise about riding with me post-Solstice. I could leave on the Wednesday. Here would be a tentative schedule. It is easy at first for me to get my legs back after the race, and to make it more appealing to those intersted.
Here's an idea:
Wed – to Rigeau campground (120 k). Stop by at a beach on the way there.
Wed night – camping – anyone is invited to visit, and/or camp there too. Bring beer. Fire-pit for marshmellow's, food, etc. We could have a little party there if there is some interest. Last year with Tanya, Cat and crew was fun.
Thu – Rigeau to MTL (100k). Tour of the McAuslan Breweries. Mmmmmmm.
Friday – MTL to 3-rivieres (or right to Quebec City if we have strong riders AND the wind at our backs). 140 k or 285 k.
After Quebec City, it's the Charlevoix Region. Two days of 90 k, in the hills. Bring a spare lung and spleen. Stop-over in Baie St. Paul, where we get to sample milk stout (or is it milk lager?). Anyways, gotta try it.
Alright, time to retire for the night. Sort-of a semi-long day tomorrow, where I get to kick it in to a bit North of Sudsbury to visit my mom and aunt, and have another rest day. Sheesh I am lazy.
I hope you guys are all having a blast. Wish you guys were here, and not chained to your desks (or whatever).
p
Introduction
Allo, hello, tere,
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Here's a joke for ya' Pierre;
What do you call an Irish recovering alcoholic?
...
...
A quitter!
Cheers,
MT
"Set up under a roof thingy covering picnic tables (what the hell is the word I am looking for?)"
Did you mean a lean-to ?
MT
P.S. The joke what supposed to be in the previous log where you made reference to stopping drinking.
Post a Comment