(that town I can't spell on Manitoulin Island) to Craighurst
215 km, pouring rain, for first 50 k, overcast, then sunny for the last 2 hrs
inds – 0 km/hr for first 50 k, then 10-15 (max) km/hr crosswind for 100 k, then tailwind for the rest of the day.
This is Major Tom to ground control.
Today felt like a good ride. It was the ride I wanted and needed to make me feel back on track (motivation, feeling good).
I pressed the snooze button a few times this morning. When I finally got out of “bed”, ate, and packed, it was close to 2.5 hrs before the ferry's departure. I had to haul-ass to get there on time.
Shortly after the ride started, the rain started, and didn't let up until onto the ferry. There was no winds, which allowed me to have a decent speed to get to the ferry on time. I am a lucky bastard.
I planned on having some food on board, write yesterday's entry, and maybe take a nap. I did eat. I didn't to the other two. This older couple and I had a conversation about travelling, my trip, but mainly about mathematic olympics and the kids he is training for them. He was quite passionate about it, which made it (surprisingly) interesting. Super nice folks. The ferry was just under two hours. Scenery – non-existant, as it was too foggy to see anything past 50 yards.
From Tobemory to Wiarton, it's an 80 k stretch of nothing. The light winds started sometime then, but they were crosswinds. They were coming from the West, which meant that I would probably enjoy them once I pass Wiarton.
In Wiarton, I searched to see if there was a statue of Wiarton Willie. No luck. I did see a small wooden sculpture of one, so I took a picture of it.
Owen Sound was near. Just before it, the sun came out, and was quite warm (a bit humid too). A big downhill brought me into Owen Sound. Unfortunately, there was a red light at the bottom. Shucks. Getting out of town, a nice little (4-5 km) uphill awaited me. Nice slow gradual uphill, nothing killer, but constant. It was pleasant. I also had the wind with me, so that helped.
I noticed my rear wheel felt wobbly at times. Upon closer inspection, a few spokes felt they had lost some tension. Do I fix it now or wait until the campsite in 20 km? I fixed it on the spot, enough to get me to the campsite to properly fix it then.
After the climb, just beyond the crest, I could see clouds up ahead. Could I be at the peak of all these climbs, and it's all downhill from here until I reach the Georgian Bay? Yes it was. Looked quite nice. I enjoyed a good minute of 50 k/h, then a few good minutes (3-4?) of 40 k/h. Nice ride. From that point on, I will ride the coast of Georgian Bay. Once I pass Collingwood, it'll be familiar territory – roads I used to ride fairly often when I lived near here.
Tonight I get to have a shower, head to bed before midnight, and sleep in (if I want, or if I can), as the day is under 150 k (I believe). I get to have a lighter day tomorrow, as I ride into Penetanguishene to see my sister, the three little terrors (they rock), and a couple of friends. Can't wait.
Alright, off to see if I can send these entries with a (possible) internet connection near the office, followed by a shower, and bed time.
Only four more biking days until Ottawa – here to Penetang, Penetang to Toronto, rest in Toronto, Toronto to Kingston (300k), and Kingston to home. Just a few dodos, I'll be there soon.
Can't wait to see a bunch of you guys.
p2
Introduction
Allo, hello, tere,
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
See lõppuosa oli küll muusika minu kõrvadele!
Ei jõua ära oodata!
Kalli-kalli-musi
Allo Pierrot
I was surprised and pleased that you made it to the island monday after such a late start.
Now is it possible that from Manitoulin you rode to Craigleith and not Craighurst? I was confused.I was following the map and from Owen Sound I only saw Craigleigh. It would be nice if you could see the boys play ball hockey tonight at 5.30.I'll see if I can give you a call.
Enjoyed your visit. Was sad to see you go but you have to fulfill your long time dream. Keep safe.
Love you
Mom
Pierre, mother of all, c'est Alex, j'ai vraiment hâte que tu arrives ici, je veux voir absolument tes marques de bronzage sur ton crâne!
Ça doit être magnifique.
On t'as manqué à la collation des grades, même si c'était super plate.
Je travaille 3 jours/semaine pour l'instant!
À bientôt,
Je t'aime
Post a Comment