Trois-Rivieres to Quebec City
140 km, overcast and raining
Windy – 20-30 km/h, all in my face
Against the wind,
I was riding against the wind,
I was riding to live,
and living to ride,
Against the wind.
This time, the song was playing while I was actually against the wind.
The day started alright. I slept in, was relaxed, and was expecting a shorter day (than the previous day). I updated the blog and picture album before I left town, and then went for a hair cut.
Getting out of town, that's when I noticed the wind. It didn't look favourable, and it was a bit on the strong side. I just hoped it would subside – it didn't. The winds slowly picked up and remained fairly constant for the rest of the trip. The rain started at the half-way mark, and didn't let up until, well, it just didn't let up. Writing this now, at 3:50 am, it has stopped maybe 90 minutes ago.
Just 30 k or so from my destination, when I stopped to get a bit of food in me, the coat, gloves, and knee warmers came out. Luckily I decided to bring the gloves on the rest of the trip.
Along the road, I saw tons of cyclists touring. It looked like they were local tours – 2 days or so. They were heading in all directions, and some were in groups of 8. I also ran into another cyclist all dressed in Time Trial gear. I caught up to him when he stopped for a pee. I should of taught him how to pee while riding. He did a triathlon in Trois-Rivieres in the morning, and was riding to Quebec City. I called it a “cool down” ride.
Just 20 k before arriving at my destination, I heard a “thunk, thunk, thunk”. I looked down at my front wheel, and noticed a screw in it. Nice. As soon as I remove that puppy, it'll start leaking. So, pulled over and fixed it. It is my first front flat of the trip (at the 7000k mark on my odometer – so in 1.5 days, I'll actually reach the real 7000k mark).
Finally, I get close to downtown, even though it was later than expected. It wasn't even 8 pm, and it was a bit dark due to the clouds and such. Are the days getting shorter now? I zig-zagged into the downtown, I saw a hostel nearby (fairly close to downtown), but decided to trek on a bit. When I finally reached the top of the hill, I decided to double-back and actually stop there for the night. Well, no vacancy. Dang.
Just over the hill, a few streets down further, the old downtown was there (as well as the usual hostel I frequent). So, with such a busy time, it too was full. I managed to get a room (the last one) just a few doors down at a 1-star hotel/hostel. It'll do the job, but more expensive than I was hoping to pay.
After a good shower and a shave, I headed to one of two micro-breweries. If I was lucky, I'd hit them both tonight. Just near the first one, La Barberie, I overhear a girl talking about La barberie. Feeling like I am an informed tourist, I asked them if they needed help getting there. They were locals, and knew where the spot was. We started chatting a bit, and they invited me to join them for a few drinks. I obliged, and joined Elysabeth and Mae. They turned out to be great hosts. Gros merci.
The beers were quite good. The one that stood out the most was La blanche classique – citrus flavours, and fairly light taste. The stout double chocolate wasn't bad. For all the names, please see the pictures (I took a picture of the board instead of writing them down).
I still didn't have supper yet, and I was feeling a bit peckish. They didn't serve food there (too small of an establishment). So, after finishing our eight 5 oz samples, we headed to the second micro-brewery: Linux (or something like that). They served food there.
Their beers were also quite tasty. I had the blanche with corriander, the five malt beer, and the rousse caramelized. The food was fun – first was the plain nacho chips with typical salsa and con queso, then the 5 types of cheese with bread platter followed, and finished the “meal” with the sausage in a carved-out baguette. Tasty. The tunes at that bar were interesting – some Metric, and the locals Lost Finger. The latter is basically jazz lounge remakes of classics (some Soft Cell, Bon Jovi, Alanah Miles, Michael Jackson, etc).
May walked me home, and showed me some neat spots to take some nice pictures. I thought I might get up early and be a bit of a tourist, but I think I'll just have breakfast and head out of town. I'll save the tourist thing when I'm hear next time – which will include the world's (or close to it) smallest apartment. Breakfast might be at my usual latin restaurant.
A story I always think of when i come here: The short, yet sound really bad, version: I got herpes from a Danish guy in Quebec City. The longer, but clarifying, version: I was having a 5-Alive drink at a hostel, when the Danish guy asked what that was. I let him have a drink. The next day, I feel a sensitive spot on my lip – shit, that guy gave me a cold-sore.
Alright, soon is bedtime. I will go to MEC tomorrow while i head out of town to find some no-see-um screen kit for the tent. The hills start tomorrow (well, a mountain range). Shorter, but steeper. I know there's one hill that's around 5 km long, with an average grade of 7-10%. Should be fun. You know what I'll be doing for a good 30 minutes (probably smiling lots). We'll see what the downhills will bring – bad weather? Wobbly front-end on the bike? Tobin, don't expect me to beat your 80 k/h heading into Baie St. Paul. Plus, I might get a chance to see (and take a picture) of that 24% hill. For that one, for every 4 metres in length, it goes up by a metre. Nice.
Ok, bed time. It's 4:20 am, and I'm now tired. Dodo time.
p
Introduction
Allo, hello, tere,
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Mon oncle Pierre, merci pour les photos du centre Bell. J'ai aimé voir les photos beaucoup!!!!
Riley
Salut Pierre! Incroyable, toutes les micro-brasseries que tu as visité en 2-3 jours!!
Bravo pour Dieu du ciel et La Barberie, j'aurais tellement aimé y être avec toi!
Le début de ton voyage à Québec semble (évidemment) bien cool! J'espère que ça continuera.
À bientôt, et vive la bière.
Alex
Bonjour Pierre!
Loving your pictures and your blogg is very funny! You are quite amazing for accomplishing this.
See you when you return. Kisses to my mom when you see her in Cape Breton.
Brenda-Lee
Post a Comment