Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 45 - St Simeon to Metis sur mer

St-Simeon to Metis-sur-mer
205 km, 7.5 hrs
Sunny, mid twenties, only humid in the morning
Wind at my back starting at the 60 k mark, 10-15 km/h

Beautiful day. Happy Canada day too, eh? Maechante, happy move.

New records – most Eastern I've ever been (and biked) in Quebec, and 2 ferries in one day.

I started the day at 9 am, as I gave myself enough time to reach Escoumins for the 1:30 ferry to Trois-Pistoles. What I did not anticipate was a) a snake-bite flat with my rear wheel right out of the campground (I took a wrong turn getting out of there, where it was a really pointy-rocky section – probably where I did the damage), and b) having to take a ferry to get through the Saguenay fjord. But, as always, I seem to be quite lucky, and everything worked out well. As I couldn't buy any milk the night before (no stores had 500 ml 1-2 % milk), I thought I'd buy some milk somewhere on the route out of town. No such luck. With a loss of time fixing the flat, and thinking that I'd be tight making both ferries, I just jet out of town and rode. I figured I'd be able to eat breakfast 60 k later on the first ferry.

The route threw a few hills at me today, including the one out of town – a nice few km 8% hill. When I planned this trip, I wanted to ride the entire Charlevoix region, which I did. The hills basically dwindled 50-60 k into the ride; except for getting out of Tadousac – two nice honkin' hills of 3 k each, probably at 8-9 (maybe 10) percent. Nice.

The first ferry, maybe a km long, was free. It is there to get across the fjord, as the road just stops. Apparently there is no other way around. Beautiful area though. There's tons of whale-watching and zodiac tours there into the fjord, where you are guaranteed to spot a whale or two of various species.

In Tadousac, I thought about breakfast. As I looked at my watch, I realized that I had 2 hours to do 50 km. So, skip breakfast, get some water, and suck on maple candy as some sort of fuel. But, since I am not the goodest in math, 10:30 to 1:30 is 3 hours. Only 30 minutes later I realized that I had plenty of time. What I didn't factor in was the wind that started, which was at my back. The roads are beautiful there (like the other regions). Traffic was light, and the shoulders (of new pavement) are huge (a good half-lane of a car lane). With hard tires, smooth road, things rolled quite nicely. The many little lakes and cliffs along the route gave me lots to look at.

Reaching Escoumins by 1:30 was a breeze. I got there at 12:15. Did some groceries, and then waited 45 minutes in line (while eating lunch) to get onto the ferry. On the boat, I stood at the front for 30 minutes soaking in the cool (and strong) refreshing winds, and took some pictures of a nice sailboat from France. Vive la France. Speaking of France, the tour probably started. I get to miss out on the Stanley Cup playoffs AND the tour this year. Gees. After a while, I went inside and sat down while I charged up the mp3 and computer. I got semi-comfortable (sitting while twisting my body to try to rest my head on my arm for a little nap). Awkwardly, I managed to fall asleep, and woke up 20 minutes later to change positions (did that three times). The boat ride was 90 minutes long.

In Trois-Pistoles, I decided to upload the entries and pics of the past few days. I found a connection, and just chilled (again) for another 45 minutes. I figured I lost around 4.5 hrs of prime riding time (12:15 to 4:45). That probably amounts to another 100 k of riding. But, I dont live in “if's”, I get to live in the now.

I wanted to stop in Rimouski to grocery shop, and stock up on gas as I was running a bit low. The Info centre was still open at 6:30, so I stopped in to get info on grocery store and Canadian Tire (or Walmart, whatever was around). With their advice, I set out on a little jaunt a bit into the other side of town (uptown), but when I got there, everything was closed. Even those commie bastard Walmart, which is basically a slave operation, are off on Canada Day (even in seperatist Quebec). What gives? So, I went to Tim Hortons for a donut and Iced Cap to feel better.

Just a bit before the end of town, I found a convenience store/epicerie that I was able to buy some spaghettini, sauce, beer (Stella Artoise), milk, apple juice, and a cream soda. I settled for spaghettini as I was afraid I'd run out of gas, and that stuff is quicker to cook.

Another 50 k had to be done before nightfall. Off I went, with speeds hovering just around and below 30k. Things were rolling fine – beautiful roads again, and more importantly, beautiful scenery. The sun was slowly setting over the St. Laurent, so I just kept on starting at that. I stopped and took tons of pictures.

Got into the campsite just a few minutes after 9 pm, where it was still light out, but getting dark fast. But, I did what I wanted to do today (well, 50 k more than planned, but changed my destination halfway through the day). While setting up my tent, I was boiling water for supper. The gas ran out shortly when the water was warm. I let the pasta soak up for 30 minutes (finished with the tent, set-up, and showered), then ate “sort-of el dente” spaghetti. Doable, but not an every day meal.

I am now currently sitting in the shower of a woman's washroom writing this entry. The power in the men's washroom doesn't work, so I am on the other side. Luckily, no one has entered yet (so far...)

But, I am done this entry, except for a little story that you guys can skip if you are not interested in more reading. In spirit of Canada Day, here's a little story:


I had a job before this
I had a job before this
Ultimately it was that job that drove me into this
I worked at an aquarium
An aquarium with lots of money from the government
So it was HUGE
I was clean & scrub man, they called us in the CNS Union
I scrubbed the inside of the killer whale tank
And after a while the boys in the CNS, the Clean & Scrub, we just sorta made it one word
The Killerwhaletank, i'm goin into the killerwhaletank
I got along with these two big beasts so well,
it was like they knew me
they'd look at me with their 100 year old eyes
and it was like they knew me
I'd put on my scuba gear, my mask, my regulator
and I'd fall into the tank with nary a sound
and I was underwater
sometimes -- I'd JUMP OUT -- right in front of the window
when people were expecting a killer whale
and they'd see a human
and they'd get spooked ... anyways, I'd do that
but I was in the water this particular day
unbeknownst to me, Shamu and Bartholomew, their relationship had gone stale
seems I was going in there so much
and I was looking so good
Shamu took a shining to me
And their so smart those things, you know
they've got all these human emotions
love, lust, greed, 100 year old jealousy,
Bartholomew... WAS LIVID!
Unbeknownst to me I can't hear a goddamn thing underwater
He was bumping up against me
The stale
killer whale
bumping up against someone so pale
and frail
how was I to know the killer whale relationship had gone stale
he bumpedup against me
his skin was like sandpaper
and he circled around
I thought we were all patched up and
I was cleanin and scrubbin
and he took my...
he came up and...
he ripped my left arm off...
and their quite docile and friendly in captivity but
somewhere along the line he snapped,
he took my left arm
he took my fuckin left arm.

good old gord. what would we do without him on cocaine or something like that?
p

4 comments:

Boo said...

I have to say I skipped reading your 'little story'. all I saw was blah blah blah blah....

I'm enjoying your photos! I love the scenery!

Anonymous said...

Des belles photos!!!

J'ai jamais vu on si grand poisson avec un miroir sur son casque en vélo.....oh, c'est toi Pierre!

Je panifie de suivre ton trajet en moto jusqu'à la Baie St Paul et l'île aux coudes pour ensuite retourner à Québec pour le 400e vers le 15...c'est le plan en tout cas.

Happy and safe trails...

Dominique

Anonymous said...

Salut
Du beau paysage dans le Quebec. J'espère un jour aller par là.
J'ai hâte de voir ou tu vas couper pour entrer dans le NB. Est-ce que tu vas sur l'Ile PEI aussi?
Eh bien continue, tu vas bien. On aime suivre ton parcours.
Love you
Mom

Anonymous said...

Pierre, incroyable!
Ton récit de la brasserie de Charlevoix m'a fait capoter!! As-tu gouté à la milk stout, finalement?
Ici je travaille quand même beaucoup, j'ai réécouté little miss sunshine hier (buy you a treat, a fag mag, comme dirait le grand-père) et si tu n'es pas au courant, paul mcartney vient à québec fin juillet.
Je t'aime,
Alexandra