Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 50 (?) perce to carleton

Perce to Carleton
194 km, sunny, hot and fairly humid
Winds – 10-25 km/h, in all directions

After reaching where I planned on staying for the night, I decided to keep going as the conditions (wind, light, roads) were favourable.

Somethings I forgot to write about the Perce Rock: you can not walk around it anymore, and there is around 300 tons of rock that fall from it yearly. When I was there, that's basically a ton of rock gone. It is close to 500 metres long, 90 metres high, and just as thick in some spots,

Leaving Perce, the winds were almost inexistent, and in my favour. It was a nice ride out. Oddly enough, the tune on the mp3 was “Like A Rock”, Seger.

Just a little while longer, I run into the 2 girls from France who were staying at the hostel for the nights I was there. They were hitch-hiking. We all wondered if we'd see each other again, as we're heading in the same direction.

At the 30 k mark, the winds started getting stronger, and in my face. They stayed that way for another 50 k. That was a bit draining. The average speed just dropped. I stopped for lunch in Port-Daniel, as I heard there was a neat little train tunnel (100 metres) all dug up by hand (no dynamite), and it is fairly pitch black when you walk through, Neat.

The wind finally died down to 10 k at the 100 k mark. From there, it was at my back, and the road switched direction (from South-West to North-West). But, the big thing of the day is that the shoulders were excellent. I was able to just ride, to lose myself – in the music, in the moment (I owned it, and I never let it go).

The scenery was nice, as I was riding on the coast for most of the day. Hills weren't bad at all. The wind was the toughest thing today (and the heat).

I wanted to poach camp, but didn't know where. But, I lucked out. I saw a big sign for camping in Carleton, so I followed it to see if I could sneak in. It lead me to a beach, where I saw two tents side by side on the shore. Sweet. I just went a bit further on the shore, and pitched the tent. I didn't put the top layer on the tent, so I get to enjoy the breeze off the Baie de chaleurs, and to look at the quarter moon, stars, and the occasional fire-works. Drawback – people who walk by get to see me in my little “cage”. It's kind of funny. I even ventured into the bay for a little skinny dip to clean up.

So, nothing major today, except that I can see New Brunswick from here, and that I seem to have a nice camping spot. I get to go to sleep to the waves crashing on shore.

Alright, I hope you are all doing well.

A la prochaine chicane.

p2
(pics updated. click on entry title)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pierre!
Tu as dormi à la même auberge que moi, à Percé. Elle est tellement bien située, vraiment belle!
Primus jouait à Ottawa hier soir...
En français, on dit pétoncle! :P
J'espère que tu te prépares à voir la mer, espèce de chanceux!
Je t'aime et à bientôt,
Alexandre

Boo said...

Sleeping under the stars - well almost. Nice!!!!!

Going to check out the photos now. :o)