Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 50 (really) - Carleton (PQ) to St-Quentin (NB)

Carleton (PQ) to St-Quentin (NB)
163 km, sunny (high of 29, 33 with humidex)
Windy – 20+ k/h with gusts in the low 30's (headwind)

Short version:

New Brunswick, new time zone, headwind for 6 hours, 8000+ km, nice people in NB, scored in St-Quentin.

Semi-long version:

I woke up at 4 am to the sunrise. Nice, but I wanted to sleep more. I left late from Carleton (nice sleep – slowly caught up from the lack of sleep during my rest day stop-over). After i finally found an internet connection in town, I updated the blog and pictures, read the always-appreciated comments, and checked my email, I jetted out of town. Well, crawled is a more appropriate word.

The winds were not pleasant today. Westernish winds, and I am heading West. Relentless, but not like in the prairies. With the heat, it helped to keep me a bit cooler (or I could pull an Abraham Solstice 2007), but I worked hard. It was a bit of a work-out on the bike today. When I finally reached Campbelltown, New Brunswick, I finally got my average speed to 20. Besides the day from Gaspe to Perce (average 19.7), it was in the prairies that I dipped below 20 k/h. I didn't want another day of that. After leaving town, the speed was below 20 k/h again. Gees. I finally was able to hit 20 k/h again at the 100 k mark, but the 11 % 2 km hill brought it down again. That hill had a cool-down period, a 3 k at 6 %. Fun. The upper part of NB has a little mountain range to go through, nice long gradual hills. At the 6 hr mark of the ride, near 115 km, I finally reached the 20 k mark and didn't look back. Finished the day at 21 k/h.

The winds died down after I switched direction – was heading West/Southwest for a while, then Southbound. It was also 6-7 pm (I lost an hour with the time zone change, had a long lunch in Campbelltown, and left late in the morning). The goal was to reach at least Kegwick, but hopefully St-Quentin as the goal set last night, St-Leonard, was unattainable. So, at least I am happy how the day turned out after battling the heat and winds.

What was nice were the roads – nice shoulders, mostly new pavement (especially in NB). Plus, when I got to NB, lots of people honked to say “hi”, or even waited for me to go by before getting onto the highway, sporting a super big smile and waving. definitely nice people, tres chaleureux.

I got info of a B & B in St-Quentin, so I seeked it out. I dont know if it's the one I found, but I got to an Auberge of some sort (Auberge Evasion de reves) near the far edge of town. I inquired about just putting my tent in the back as I am in bear country again (just outside of town, not in town). I just explained I was trying to save a bit of money, and be safe. She had no problem with it, and didn't want to accept any money. I also, just for fun, inquired how much for a room - $110 for the night. Pierrette, the owner, then offered me a shower in the morning when one of the guests leaves. Sweet. After that, she offers me a free continental breakfast. Super sweet. Super nice.

I then headed a bit back in town to get a pizza and garlic bread. Busy town, as its their Western fair (b ig country jamboree, even a cowgirl beauty competition).

When I was eating the pizza after being all set-up, the daughter of the owner comes to the tent. (you know where this is going). Anyways, she says “my mom wants to talk to you”. I put on my shoes, and go see her. She was offering me a room for free. They were insisting I take it, even offered me help to take down my tent and such. But, I was all set up, and couldn't take their generous offer. I like it outside, nice breeze, quiet, and I am quite comfortable in the tent (as odd as it might seem). It's free, so that's good (so is the room, but that's luxury). Maybe next time.

So, the day started a bit rough (relatively speaking), but ended quite nicely.

Odd bits and pieces.

I am now officially over the 8000 km mark.

New province (6 down, the 4 smallest to do), new time zone (Atlantic).

Remember La Malbaie, where a pick-up truck cut me off? I read in the papers that 2 car speed racers (aka yahoos) died there a few days ago. Probably not the same person, but on an unrelated note, crazy behaviour like that – I call it natural selection.

Tour de France – a TT on the 3rd day? That's crazy!

Last night, around supper, I bike by a house having a BBQ. Boy did that ever smell nice. It was killer.

I passed through a town today called St-Simeon. Quebec has two St-Simeon? Odd, don't you think?

Let's play a game. I am thinking of a Quebec town that starts with St or Ste. Can you guess which town I am thinking of?

Alright, time for bed.

I hope everyone has a swell day.

p2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget rock, your new nickname... Boul.der

Nice pics :)

MT

Anonymous said...

Salut
In answer to the quiz the town you were thinking of is Mont St-Pierre.
I think I want to move to NB now. Seems very friendly and genuine.
Still following your route and so in mémère.
Love you
Mom

Boo said...

Hummmmm..... which St./Ste. town are you thinking of? My favourite is St. Louis de Ha-Ha. Always makes us laugh when we go by (you probably didn't though)...

Scored, huh?.... lucky guy! ;o)
Brenda is proud of you too.

"Allô onk quierre. Je t'aime!" - P2-2

I'll e-mail you with the info for my parents place. You'll be there before you know it!