Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day 58 - Sherbrooke to Glendale

Sherbrooke to Glendale
145 km, sunny, hot (28) and humid (35) during the ride
Winds – up to 10-15 km/h, in my favour

Cape Breton. Every day these days, I tend to break a few different records: the longest trip I've ever been, the longest I've been away from home (or the town where I technically reside in), the furthest East I've ever been on a bike, the longest bike trip I've ever been on, and I get to break the previous day's record of the longest I've ever lived (in this life-time, of course).

The day started off a bit wet. Well, to back-track a bit, I decided to test my luck a bit and not put the fly up on the tent. Again, in the middle of the night, I had to get out to put the fly in a hurry.

There were roosters near the campsite. I didn't realize that until they were doing their morning “wake-up you bastards” screech. It was also at that point that I realized I forgot my earplugs in Halifax (I believe, as I can't find them). No biggie, I'll go to a pharmacy to purchase some more.

I ate my breakfast in the washroom, as it was raining cats and dogs while I was packing up. No visits from bears while I was there. When I started cycling, the rain had stopped, but the humidity levels were quite high.

When the sun came out, the humidity seemed to be reduced at times, but it stayed fairly high for the rest of the day. It was probably a high 20's day, with the humidity bringing it up to mid thirties. The winds started after lunch, luckily at my back for most of the ride. (Thanks Joyce. That old Irish saying was true today. Top of the morning to you.)

What's neat about these towns around these parts, is that they have the Gaelic name of the town below the English name. Some are pretty close, but other's are way out there. What also threw me off a bit during the start of the ride were signs to local towns nearby: Aspen, Denver, Rocky Mountain, and Ohio. Where am I?

Cape Breton Isand. Not bad so far. The highway leading me to the Cabot Trail has nice pavement, wide shoulders, and gentle but long hills. Fun ride. The drivers here are saying hi (honking and waving) a fair bit. In these parts, they have to assume any cyclists they encounter is about to finish their x-country trek.

I arrived at the outlaws 15 minutes later than I anticipated. I didn't remember the directions correctly, so I didn't turn at the right moment at first (lost maybe 1-2 km), but the kicker was that I turned left instead of right to access the final stretch to my destination. That 2nd detour took me through a really rough unpaved road, where I was hoping that I wouldn't flat. In the morning, I'll get to see if I acquired a small snake-bite with a slow leak.

After supper, I was able to clean the bike a bit, replace my front brake pads, cut a hole in a wooden board for Stephanie's home-made Ouija board, and work on Christopher's bike. So, I felt useful.

Well, time to retire.

Air do dheagh Shlainte. (to your excellent health)

p

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i check in often...gotta make sure you're still moving and not sitting on your butt in a hotel in kanata pretending to do the ride :)

Boo said...

You bet you will get smacked for that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope your stay was a great one! It was nice to chat with you knowing you were with "family".

Did you take photos of the house??? I can't wait to see it. When I saw it last, it was a lot different.

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Cheticamp area and the hills you are about to encounter. I know the photos will be fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Pierre:

Yes, I had a feeling I spelled pedaling wrong...but oh well. lol

I hope you enjoyed your stay on the "mountain" and your hosts were good?

I am sure Chris loved the fact you worked on his bike. How did the Ouija board turn out? Did you guys do any talking to the dead? lol

Safe travels. Enjoy the Cabot Trail. The whole Island is beautiful.

Brenda-Lee