Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Rest Day - Perce

Rest day – Perce et L'anse a beaufils
(20-25 km of biking, but it doesn't count – I purposely didn't put on my computer today)

Nice little busy day.

Bedtime was around 1 am last night. After I drank the two beers I bought, I helped one guy finish his brown pop before retiring for the night.

In the morning, I had to be at the kayak spot for 9 am. Too early for me. But, I made it. We had to wait on this one couple for a good half hour before we could suit up and go. Too bad, as I could have been in bed longer. The kayak was great – went around the rocher, to the Three Sisters (three peaks on the edge of town), and back. A good 2 hours or so. I had a chance to see a few seals, and a whale that was coming up for air here and there. Unfortunately, I was too slow to retrieve the camera from the dry bag to take a picture of them.

Afterwards, I was fairly hungry. I tried this little spot in town. Decent food, but overpriced. I felt like a pizza, but settled for a lobster club, with a poutine, and a Cheval Blanc blanche beer. Ok beer (blanches are hit and miss, I find), and the club wasn't bad.

I was then off to the boat cruise near the Rocher Perce (but not as close as with the kayak), and then around the Bonaventure Island. I was the only one on board, so I had a fun chat with Marie, the Parks Canada guide. On top of the usual touristy speal she gives on board, we also talked about some bike trips we both did. She is quite interested in doing xCanada. her biggest (and only) trip was from Quebec to Perce. Gees, another one who does Gaspe region. On the boat ride back, I ran into the (l)onely passenger, who was a cyclist who just got into town and hopped on the boat for the ride. As he stated, similar to Marie, me talking about my trip lights a little fire for them as they want to do something like that. I feel good being part of that.

On the island, there was only time to walk the shortest path (3.5 km, near 45 minutes one-way) through the island to visit a bird sanctuary. Tons of birds (well, mainly one species). The duct tape for my foot helds up quite well – I can walk and not make the blister worse. As a snack, I had a coffee, a fairly nice and light (fluffy) sucre a la creme, and a package of authentic English toffee. All quit tasty (well, coffee was average).

Afterwards, I headed out of town to L'anse de beaufils, where I wanted to hit the micro-brewery there. I found it, right at closing time, and was able to have a nice 30 minute chat with one of the brewmasters about the product. Pretty interesting stuff. We talked about the different factors that can affect beer (other than the usual change of ingredients), such as humidity levels on certain days, altitude, atmospheric pressure, all kinds of stuff. They sell the beers in jugs (like in Vermont at the Trout River brewery), too much for me to buy and consume before biking 30 minutes back into town. So, I went next door at the pub, had the two beers the brewery brews (the Blonde, and the Rousse), with a small supper.

The first supper was something similar to a Coquille St-Jacques. But, instead of just having shrimp, there was also some (French is Petton) (scallops?). Tasty. The beers were quite good, with the blonde being my preferred one. Very clean and simpe taste.

I rode back into Perce to hopefully catch a nice sunset onto the Rocher Perce. Unfortunately, the sun didn't want to cooperate tonight. No biggie.

I then proceeded to climb the hill to the Gargantua Restaurant. Huge hill. This one has to be over 17 % (compared to the hill on the other side of town). I always feel weird having supper alone. Plus, I feel the service is poorer too. In this case, it was. I asked for a glass of water before my meal, midway through my meal, and even near the end of my meal, to two different waitresses too. No, I didn't get my water. I was fairly thirsty, and didn't want to rely on drinking the ¼ litre of white wine. The meal: un eventaille fruit de mer. It consisted of 5 different types of seafood, including a half lobster. It was the first time I had to crack open the claws and use the special tools to dig out the meal. Plus, with the lobster litterally cut I half, I didn't know what I was suppose to eat. So, anything that seemed edible, I ate. The white house wine was decent. I wasn't sure if I was tasting some apple, strawberries, and vanilla. Nice pleasant wine. But, since the waitresses never came back, I could never ask them. Desert was nice. I think I was only allowed one, but I asked for two. What did she give me? Basically three. The cherry pie (something I wanted to have for a while, like rhubarb pie), a orange cream thingy in a dark chocolate shell, and some crème anglaise as an extra thing. Good food, good atmosphere, fairly good price, and not the best service.

Riding down the hill in the dark was intersting. I was riding the brakes (almost fully squeezed the whole way), in complete darkness, for a good 3 minutes. I had to focus and stick to the yellow line, the only thing I could make out.

I am now at the hostel, all packed, and basically ready for bed. I did want to shave tonight, but for some reason, my shaving gel has no more pressure in it. A whole (and new) can that is basically useless now. Oh well.

So, I am on the road again. I think things will go fairly quickly for the next little while, and maybe sort-of slow (due to anticipation) when I am in NFLD.

Hills are basically done for a while, until Cape Breton. Apparently, the second hill is the killer. Afterwards, the major hills are all behind me. I hear the biggest hill in the world is in New Zealand (steepest over 4 km). I've heard the longest hill (100-150 k) is somewhere near Malasia or something, near the highest highway in the world. Maybe I'll have to take some more bike trips. Later on, remind me of the other trips I've thought of doing, as I have a bunch of them on my mind now (lots of them are local too).

The winds seem fairly strong and consistent lately, and not in the direction I want. But then again, I am heading West now, before I duck down South for New Brunswick.

Getting my motor runnin', heading on the highway, looking for adventure, and whatever comes my way.

p2

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tere Pierre,

Ma loodan et ainult head asjad jaavad su teele!

Kalli-musi

Boo said...

Oh you wait until you hit CB - you are going to either love or hate the hills. ;o)

Sounds like you had a nice rest day. I'd love to go on a kayaking tour... one day.

Anonymous said...

Salut
Your ears must have been buzzing all weekend cause I was braging about you. It was the girls weekend here with 9 of us. Perfect weather at the Landers Resort.With all the beautiful pictures you are making me want to tour the east coast (in a car of course and sleep in hotels).
Very sad to hear about the cyclists in Manitoba. I know you are very careful and yes Pepere Boucher is certainly looking after you.I can just imagine P2-2looking for you. Sweet!!

Keep on cycling.Love to read the entries every day.
Love you
Mom

Karina ;-) -xox- said...

Hey!
A little hello. Yes, the Worlds' steepest hill (Baldwin Street) is in Dunedin, New Zealand. It's in the Book of World Records. I was able to successfully run it up! (but could barely walk for the rest of the day).
Reading your entries and looking at your pictures... heck I want to go bike that region!!! Even the beer looks good...!
xoxo