Kamloops to Revelstoke, B.C.
220 km, under 8h 30 mins.
1100 km closer to Ottawa.
Mainly sunny, quite warm at lunch (19 degrees), 11 degrees am and pm.
Wind: favorable for 0-115 km, absent 115-135 km, side wind for another 30k, then head wind until town.
Stronger, better, faster, longer.
My day probably didn't differ from yours that much. I sat on my arse all day, staring at a computer, day-dreaming, having a repetitive tedious task at hand, having something riding my arse all day, putting in my time, waiting for the end of the day so I could punch out, and once in a while, get up and dance a bit.
I thought I was actually getting ahead of the game today, as I thought I was only suppose to go to Salmon Arm today (and not in Revelstoke). Wrong. In my excel spreadsheet, I did plan on riding Kamloops to Revelstoke. Oh well. I am still a day ahead of planned because of the Coquahalla Highway ride. I thought, since I was a day ahead, I could mountain bike (rent a bike) and get a preventative treatment. I also bought enough food for the entire day tomorrow. Now I'll have to carry that up the mountain now. Since I still want to be in Calgary for Saturday, I'll have to hit the road tomorrow. Dang.
I enjoyed getting under my belt my first double century. Only another major milestone to conquer this trip (km wise).
Breakfast at Hello Toast was tasty again. French toasts, with real maple syrup (they gave me the option of syrup or the real stuff).
The ride was quite pleasing. At first, nothing different for scenery except for those brown hills slowly changed to green hills. One thing that the Canada – The Rough Guide book I have with me (courtesy of the ever-so sweet Danielle Cardinal, gros merci!), they state that it is possibly the Northern tip of the Mohave Desert. Who knows.
Few interesting spots along the way: Salmon Arm community looks quite nice. It has that “kind” feel that they would take you in their home and give you lunch. I bought some cold-cuts at the grocery store, and made sandwiches on a park bench. Lots of people who walked by said “hello” and such. It was quite warm then, very sunny, beautiful. I actually took off my arm warmers, knee warmers, and socks. I felt almost naked. The knee warmers haven't come off since the start of the trip. It is also my first time with them, and I must say, they are awesome. Probably one of the top things I bought for this trip (along with a mattress). As for the latter, it is much more comfortable touring with a mattress than sleeping directly on the ground as I have done for the past 10 years.
Along the way – Crazy Canyon water falls and suspension bridge, The Enchanted Forest, a big statue of Smokey The Bear, and The Last Spike for the railway (connecting East to West). Pictures attached (click on the title of today's entry).
Revelstoke looks quite nice too. The mountains are all around, with a bunch of white peaks. I believe I am on the edge of the Rockies. This will be big. Rogers Pass is the big one, from what I hear.
Side note – there are lots of A & W in the West. That's a good thing. Mamma burger = $1.50. Tempting, tempting.
Side note two – my hands are drying up a bit lately – they are used to being in lotion for part of the day. Weird. It's the same with people who use chapsticks all the time, and then stop – dry lips. Woah, tangent is way off this time.
Retournons a nos moutons.
In the book, they wrote about a camp site just South of town, fairly cheap, with hot showers. Along the way, I saw an advert for it, which also includes Wi-Fi here, so I headed there.
At the camp site, I met up with 3 girls and 1 guy who are biking across the country (well, they use my line of “that's the plan, hope things hold up”). They left from Vancouver. I think I might reach them tomorrow, pending on how late I leave and such. We'll see.
Alright. Only a few “negative” comments came in. I appreciate everyone's honesty. If I couldn't take it, I wouldn't of asked and put myself out there. Han, you're lovely – thanks for the contributions. As for not knowing my lefts and rights, it's probably one reason why I am not a surgeon. For the physio thing, did you know I got offered a spot to work there too? Other stuff that came in – food and fruitcake. I understand your point of view. But, I will still stick to my mission statement from the intro – tourist, travel, taste various foods and such, and bike the country. To add to the fruitiness, one thing about me, I have set off many gay-dars, so I guess me talking about cupcakes might contribute to it. I guess I talk about biking too much. Not true! Sometimes I talk about music. I guess I should start talking about woman and sex. Oh, another one that came in, and I cant forget that one – I'm a tease. Well, maybe I am just
“friendly”, which helps to get things sometimes. Unfortunately, nothing else came in.
No, I am not lonely here (well, not much more than usual, just a bit), but I am always currious of my negative traits that others think about me. I have a huge list, but I might be harder on myself than others. I was curious on what people would bring up. The door's always open.
Alright, maybe I'll start heading off to bed to get sort-of an early start with things tomorrow.
Fun “talking” to you. Thinking of you guys.
p
7 comments:
Salut Pierre,
Calgary samedi, wow, ça passe quand même vraiment vite! Dommage que les Flames ne soient pas en finale, tu aurais pu voir plein de seins de filles partout.
Arrête avec tes défauts, f*ck, à part aimer NIN, t'es un bon gars, tu sais :P J'ai télécharger The Slip, nouvel album gratuit de NIN et désolé, je suis juste pas capable.
En passant, on finit avec A pour le cours de projet de recherche. Beau travail.
Et 220km, c'est quand même incroyable!
Lâche-pas, dude!
Je t'aime, à bientôt,
Alex
Hi Pierre;
Love your journal and read it daily.
Keep up the good work.
Mom is here visiting!!!! One day only, can't stand much longer as the wine is too good.
Take care and keep safe.
Love
Joan
I hope I made you laugh Pierre because that was my intension. You sure made me laugh reading your reply. Keep on having gastronomic adventures. Hum? Maybe that’s why you’re riding alone!
Congrats on your centuryx2. I call those century things “magic”, but that’s another story!
The most I’ve ever done was 238km, but on a mtb and took me 8½h. I’ll never do that again. Which reminds me something Pierre, are you “planning” to be at Solstice ’08 - Solo? If so, DANG! You must be really in tune with your body! I now envy You.
Okay, I wish you the best of luck with your 3rd major milestone on this trip.
Cheers,
MT
P.S. I like cupcakes too, but not so much fruitcakes!
Oops! Sorry Pierre. I should of proof read my comment entry before posting. It's in regards to my km stat. The time should have said/types "24½h" (Albion Hills) instead of 8½h. Hum! I guess I now have a millstone to achieve...
MT
P.S. Which do you prefer more Pierre? CUPcakes, cinnamon BUNS or Twinkies?
je sais pas si tu considères que regarder des films du genre .. tu sais ... avec des femmes tous nues de manière addictive est un défaut ou non?
plus sérieusemenent je peux pas croire que tu aies fait 220 km en une seule journée. après 60 je sens déjà plus mes couilles tellement elles sont comprimées. enfin j imagine que c une "qualité" de cycliste qu'on développe avec le temps.
keep going
Tank
Tu sais, ton blog est le fun mais j'avoue de vraiment aimer les commentaires des autres! C'est pas mal drôle.
Alors j,ai un spa a te suggéré: The Moose Jaw Spa, probably the best thing in Moose Jaw...great pizza place there too if oyu want a change from sushi.
Autre suggestion The Capone Tunnels...famed for the booze runs from good ol, gangster Al. Apparently excellent.
That's it for the tips for now...glad we shared a laugh too...
DB
You sure the spa is not your "thing" cuz at times you are very much a fruitcake. ;o)
Your little P2-2 is asking to see your photos all the time. Very cute! She glows when we mention your name. :o)
Post a Comment