Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Monday, May 5, 2008

Day 5 - Duncan to Vancouver



Duncan to Vancouver (Tsawwassen)
110 km. Sunny at first, then overcast for the day.
Sunny in Victoria and the rest of the day.
17-20 degres.

Allo, privet,

Last night I took a picture of my “appartment”. I'll eventually post it. I am technically homeless – no house, no appartment, no job (until my contracts start in early August), and only 1 key to my name (a car that I just bought a few days before the trip). Fun. So, will I stay in a car when I get back, or find a house to buy or rent an appt/house? Any leads out there that you guys know of?

I also checked out my bank account the other day. I am not used to that amount in there. Nice to see. Odd.

Alright, enough of those side notes.

I had a coffee with Kurt this morning. Nice guy, quite genuine. I can't wait to see his work. He gave me tips on heading to Victoria to avoid construction, and how to get into town using a bike path – the Gallopping Goose. He also gave me heads up on a few hills that I was going to face – 6-8% (my guess), but a few km long. Nice little grinds.

On the ride to Victoria, while I was climbing, some cyclist snuck up beside me and said hi. It startled me, I dropped an F bomb (reaction, not at him), and then I felt bad. Luckily, I eventually caught up to him when he was resting somewhere and I had a chance to appologize. He was alright, he knew he startled me. Good guy.

A few moments later, I reaped the rewards of the climbing I did. For a few km, maybe a good minute's worth, I was doing 70 km/hr. The shoulder is 1 metre wide, another metre to my right is the rock wall, and to my left were the cars doing basically the same speed as I. The road was a few “S” curves, so just cuising down the road leaning side to side, trying to avoid little rocks. To make things a bit surreal was the music in my ear – Apoptygma Berzerk (industria techno). It was a rush. If it wasn't for the long climb to get back up, I'd do that in a second.

In the suburb of Victoria, on the way to the Gallopping Goose Trail, I saw an inviting sign - “New Angus Burger”. I had to try it. McDonalds, of course. Tasty, on a foccacia bread. Afterwards, it felt like my lungs were full of crap. I had to cough fairly hard for a minute to feel better. Was it the burger, or the years of me smoking cigarettes? I dont smoke cigarettes, so it could be the burger. Maybe it'll teach me to not eat at McD*cks.

The Gallopping Goose Trail – found it. Tricky. I stopped to make myself a peanut-butter sandwich. As I went to use the ditch as a urinal, I saw a little gartner snake move. I dont like snakes. I quickly GTFO, and stayed in the middle of the path. Reminds me of a story. Near Thunder Bay, I was biking on the road. Up ahead, I see what appears to be a dead snake. I am about to ride a couple inches beside it. At the last minute, it starts moving, that snakey movement. That scared me quite a bit. My right leg started to shake, and didn't stop shaking for another 5 minutes. Biking with a shaking leg was odd. I even get that reaction when I see a little gartner snake in the Gats while mountain biking. I'll take bungee jumping over being close to a snake, anyday.

Victoria. Beautiful spot. If I would have more time, I'd like to spend at least an entire day here. I spent a lot of time in Beacon Hill Park – lots of variety of flowers, trees, statues, and ducks/geese. The camera was quite busy in there. Actually, it was quite busy everywhere. I also tried to capture lots of totem poles, but the sun was basically directly behind them. I hope they turn out. The parliament building, Emress Hotel, the Helmcken House (possibly the oldest building that is still in use in Canada – that fact has to be checked out), and Bastion Square (old English town) were spots I spent most of the time there. I also had a nice English Breakfast tea with a bruschetta (with red peppers and pesto) at a little shop called Munchies (est. 1894 or something). Very nice shop – lots of variety for coffees, teas (all fair trade), and treats of all kind. Hmmmm. I also had to visit a chocolate shop that frequently supplies Buckingham Palace. I bought some chocolate (variety pack). Quite tasty, a lot better than Caramilk or Skor bars. What do they say about chocolate being better than sex? Sex, well, never mind. Next topic.

Victoria – lots of eye candy of all sorts. Very nice looking folks (and a fair amount of punks too, which I like the balance), and tons of nice and expensive cars. I guess they like driving nice vehicles when the lowest it basically goes for temperature is 7 degres. Someone was telling me that they had an inch of snow this year. The last time they had snow was a few years ago. Intersting. We're in Canada here?

After visiting Victoria, I headed out of town to reach Sidney, where the ferry would take me to Twawwassen (30 km South of Vancouver). I will have to find a cheap motel to stay for the night. I am currently typing this on the ferry, while recharching the computer battery.

As soon as I find wireless internet, I will upload this, maybe a picture or two, and then check my email.

Well, another entry done, another day done.

Tomorrow is technically a rest day, which consists of me biking through Vancouver to visit spots. Biking spot to spot is a lot faster than walking. Efficient.

So, I hope you guys have a swell day.

I also hope that these entries are not too long. Keep in mind that I dont have much contact with people throughout the day. I do miss seeing you guys here and there, but at the same time, this is a heck of a trip. We'll see what happens on the loneliness factor in a few weeks.

......

Change of plans. After biking a good 15 minutes in the dark, in an isolated area, I didn't reach a hotel. What came first was a RV camping sign, so I went in that direction. No one at the reception (11pm), so I snuck in. I found a spot to put up my tent, and we'll see what happens tomorrow. I hope it's ok.

Luckily, at this “camp site”, there's access to internet. I was able to catch up on emails, and read the comments on the blog (from the beginning, as there was some that I missed). Funny requests (especially MJ). No can do, as that stuff can not be done on the spot. We'll see what else I can do.

Kilkenny, I will have to enquire about that.

One big request though. Please be careful with curse words during posts. I would hate to be red-flagged or something. MoFo is ok, others, please use discretion.

Well, I delayed going to bed to read the postings and upload stuff. No biggie, I enjoyed it, and no regrets.

Now, let's see what happens in the morning with this camping situation...

Cheers,

p2

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kauneid unenägusid Pierre,

Ma igatsen sind!
Saadan sulle hiljem maili köigi oma kommentaaridega, sest neid palju ning siin ruumi napib ja ega sa vist eesti keele meister veel ole!

"Möödalask sinu"

Kalli-musi ning nael kummi

Anonymous said...

Bah! What's the worst that can happen with the campsite authority? Being told you can't come back!

Glad to see/read that you're enjoying every bit of this adventure (right down to the food…). Also, write as much words to your hearth's content and I will read every single one of them.

Take care buddy :)

MT

Boo said...

Hey! I miss reading a few days and you've had all these posts to read!! I can only imagine how much fun you are having - a little envious over here (well, except for all the biking stuff ;o). )

Kids miss you! I'll have to show them your pics and video! I can't believe you bungee jumped! Ackkkkk!!

I didn't know you were scared of snakes.... interesting... ;o)

Take care and stay warm!!!
Hugs,
Carole

Anonymous said...

Allo Pierrot
Cool video!Scary but fun to watch.
One request from me "the mother" please please everyone writing do not use bad language. This is the only way I can check if my boy has made it through another day when I check the blog each morning. Thanks. I am heading to Ottawa monday. Will stay at Joan's that night, stop in at Floren'ts tuesday then go see my other little angels later in the afternoon. Haven't seen them since Xmas so it sure will be nice.I'm glad you are enjoying yourself but try to be safe OK!
Love you
Mom

Boo said...

onk quierre
je t'aime! j'aime regarder le film de toi qui tombe dans l'eau.

Tu me manque,
Paige (p2-2)

Hannah said...

Just catching up on your posts
man your jokes are awful

:)

Sounds like your adventure is well under way now - angus burgers, DQ and jumping! now git bak on yer BYK!

hugs and smiles

Han

Anonymous said...

Hey P2,

Awesome to read your posts. There are similarities and lots of cool differences! It brought a smile to me thinking of you calling us great ones. I know it takes guts to bike such a big trip, but didn't you know jumping off a perfectly good structure is just silly??? Have fun and enjoy!

cyclin_Al

Karina ;-) -xox- said...

Hey Pete,
I apologize for my curse word. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did. Since I'm the only one that did put a curse, I take that message was directed at me.
Ok, I'll be careful from now on. I apologize again.
Keep having fun! And don't worry about the length of your entries!
Liebe Grüsse

Anonymous said...

Hey Pierre
Keep up the good work. And your pictures are just beautiful. Have a great trip.
Diane Martin Uncle John and Aaron
xoxo
Uncle John and Aaron say, sorry to see the Senators go(not really LOL). Go Red wings go, red and white forever!!!.. future 2008 stanley cup champions! LOL