Introduction

Allo, hello, tere,

Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).

Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)

What: Cross Canada travel.

When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.

Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).

Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.

How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).

Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).

* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.

** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.

Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).

Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com

Ciao,
p2

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day 6 - Vanouver to Chilliwack



Allo les mecs,

136 km. Vancouver (downtown, North Van and back) to Chilliwack.
Overcast, then sunny, then a mix. Cold? Hot? Both. Windy (cool), mainly to my advantage.

Today feels like the start of my trip. I feel things are in place (bike, body, planning), and I leave Vancouver. I always felt bad and weird answering people's question “Where are you biking?”. Most people start in Vancouver, so this is just Day 1 for most. So, now, I feel I can actually start my journey and put some kms under my belt. In a week or so, then people can (including me) think that I am heading somewhere. Plus, I do feel comfortable with the way the bike and body are feeling. They are still in the back of my mind, and not at the forefront anymore.

The american in the dorm last night was snoring quite loud. That was annoying. I actually got up and went to the washroom to purposely wake up people so he would stop snoring for a moment. It also gave me time to fish out my earplugs.

When I woke up this morning, it was light. I look at my watch – 7:15. I thought I could sleep for another 30 minutes. I wake up, look at the watch – 9:15. Shit, I missed breakfast (8 to 9:15). Plus, I wanted to be there at 8 am to get going early. So, I get up, get my stuff ready, and leave. Downstairs, I ask if breakfast was still on. He informed me that it starts in one hour. It was only 7 am, and I was still on Ottawa time. Good, I get to start my day early afterall.

The ride to Capilano – mostly uphill (including the bridge). Fun ride on the Lion's Gate Bridge. The suspension bridge itself – expensive, and honestly, not that worth it. I recommend Grouse Mountain instead (further up the road). The ride back to Vancouver – fast (downhill), but strenuous on the bridge due to that strong cross-wind.

Gastown for the steam clock – worth a few minutes there. Best to people watch, actually. It's also intersting to go from Hasting Avenue (fairly poor) to Gastown (two streets below) where there's a big change in class.

I also visited B.C. place (B.C. Lions Football Club) and more importantly, GM Place (aka “The Garage”), where the Canucks play. Expo '86 big ball is nearby, so I took a few pictures.

Then, I climbed out of Vancouver (using Hasting Street). I got to see where Hasting West and East meets – the epicentre of the homelessness, drug users and extremely low (if any) income folks. I felt a bit bad biking through. But, at the same time, I was glad to be out of there.

I stopped in Burnaby for lunch (peanut butter sandwiches) and bought a pineapple mocha drink. Well, I ordered a pineapple smoothie, but since the teenager didn't really understand English, I dont know exactly what I got (it was pineapple, but I dont know what else was in there). I was able to tap into internet and upload the latest entry, and read the comments. Thank you all for the support and comments. It really means a lot. Plus, I guess my mommie also didn't like the cus' words used by a few people. I chuckled a bit. I just dont want to be red-flagged or something.

Outside of Burnaby, something caught my eye – an indoor (dome) cycling track. I had to go in. It's a 200 metre track. It seems like it's mainly used as a Volleyball centre. Too bad.

The ride itself was nice. The wind was mainly in my advantage (side and behind). I didn't know if I was too hot or too cold. I had to put on my coat at times, with my mitts, and then take them off. Repeat often.

Reached Mission before 4 pm, so I kept going. Had supper in Abbotsford, and decided keep going to find a camp site near Chilliwack, shower and do some laundry. Entering Chilliwack, something else caugth my eye, and I saw it as a sign. Old Yale Brewery, from Chilliwack. I headed down to the nearest liquor store and bought myself two of their beers. Those bottles are big-ass bottles, 650 ml. So, I have some drinking to do. Verdict – the Sergeant's IPA is alright, very malty, tasty, but not one that I say you have to have. No preservatives, you can definitely notice that. The Pale Ale, also no preservative, is actually quite good. It's definitely a keeper.

It seems like lots of people enjoyed the bungee jump. I am wondering what I will be able to do to please you guys and keep you interested. You know, the touristy thing is mainly done for a while, and the focus shifts more to the biking as I head towards the Rockies. So, sorry, I might disappoint you guys. But, I still stick to my mission statement – explore different parts of the country, have enjoyable gastronomic adventures along the way, and do it by bike.

I also thought of something too. Regan said something nice to me a few weeks ago. She stated girls quite often enjoy a guy who has an adventurous side. But, I forgot to ask her if the guy attempts some adventurous stuff (like bungee jumping that you guys enjoyed), but screams like a 6 year old girl, does that still make him “adventurous”? Just a thought.

To go on a little thought that Special K brought up – I actually get to think a lot on the bike, and I do think of probably every single one of you during the day. It's odd. I get to re-read the comments you guys write, and think of them a bit more, as well as imagine a reply to it. But, I dont have time to reply immediately. I will have to see you in person and chat (maybe even over a beer). Mmmm.

Ka, everytime Apoptigma comes on, you know you sneak in my thoughts. Han, at least I am
consistant with my jokes, right? Badalex, bonne chance pour les entrevues.

Paige, ma belle p'tite, tu me manques aussi. Riley et Rachel, j'ai aussi hate a vous revoir. J'ai aussi hate de recevoir des nouvelles des petits diables (mes neveux). Ca va etre du fun aussi de revoir mon pere bientot, et ma mere plus tard. Le reste de la famille en chemin, on se revois bientot.

J'ai remaque qu'a Burma, il y a eu un cyclone. Julie B, j'espere que t'es correct. Je ne suis pas certain ou tu es mainteant (Cambodge ou non). Besides that, I hope you're having a blast. You're a firecracker. A+. J'ai pense a toi un peu apres mon jump, suite a notre conversation avant que tu pars pour N.Z. Donne moi des nouvelles que tu es correct. Merci.

Oh, those cupcakes. Mmmmm. I thought I'd enjoy the caramel one better, but I was wrong. It was delicious, but not as much as the coconut one. The latter was actually quite light (fluffy), except for the excellent icing. I am usuallly not an icing guy, but this was awesome. The whole thing gets my tops marks.

Cookies – all very good. I especially enjoyed the coconut and chocolate one. I wish I would of gotten two of those. The others (usual assortments), were all good – even with the beer tonight.

Another one of those Victoria Cream Chocolates were also eaten today. Raspberry cream covered with dark chocolate. My favourite so far.

(said with a very French accent: “Me, I'm gonna go home and have two beers, and go to bed”). That one's for you Dave.

So, another mountain range is starting tomorrow. I will not have access to Internet past Hope (where I plan to send this post). I will be in touch in a few days. I'm excited about the hills.

(said with a very French accent: “Me, I'm gonna go home and have two beers, and go to bed”). That one's for you Dave.

On the road again, (Good Ol' Kenny Rogers)

p2

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the road again is Willie Nelson's not Kenny Rogers. Gotta keep you in line. I know my country music.
Keep safe
Love you
Mom

Anonymous said...

Salut Pierre,

Funny how I did not hear your scream on the video...

One of the things that is very cool with your blog...and there are many, many cool things about it...is that we get to follow your journey into yourself as you write. So in a way you are sharing your inner adventure in ways that you may not in person. So we are not only getting to visit the country with you but we also get to visit more of you...très cool ça! Not at all boring...

I laughed reading the potty mouth comments thinking about your mother reading it...poor thing...but then you are a off the wall kind of person so it is not surprising that you have off the wall, colourful friends...quand même!

Thanks to your inspiration I am planning a motorbike trip from Ottawa to Peterborough...yup a whole four hours for the OMTA conference at Trent at the end of May.

We on The Hill salute you!

Dominique

Anonymous said...

Pierre, you mentioned that you often think about “us” during your daily kilometers.
Well, after reading your blogs, I’ve been thinking of You at times.

For examples:
1. Shortly after making eye-contact with a black bear 4 days ago riding down Champlain, I wondered if Pierre would rather have a “situation” with a bear or a snake?

2. Shortly after having both feet on the ground and rubbing my eye before I put on my cycling cloth on to go to work, I think “How the heck does Pierre do this every morning in most probable cold conditions?”

And the list sorta goes on!

Cheers my friend,

MT

P.S. I still can’t figure out why you would willingly ingest McRons stuff!?!

Anonymous said...

Pierre,

I do enjoy reading your stories everyday; it is like my “spoiling momento” of day, considering that is a must to treat myself with a hot chocolate at the time, in order to prevent excessive jealousy over you having all that fun …. and the delightful Victoria chocolate on top. This is too much!!! heeeheeheeehe

Is really inspiring to follow you going through this adventure and, as somebody else said too, we come to know you, to learn about yourself, to see what a “beautiful crazy spirit” you are. “Beautiful crazy”, is another special concept I will tell you about one of these days.

Big hug, stay safe and GO, GO, GO!!!

Nicole

Anonymous said...

What's up mister,
c la premiere fois que je fais un commentaire alors j ai pas mal de questions.
premierement bravo, t as meme pas idée comment te lire tous les jours me transporte là ou t es et je m'imagine descendre la côte pacifique, parceque je vais probablement faire un petit bout de chemin commun a ton itineraire (vancouver à victoria) pour aller prendre le ferry jusqu'a anacortes au washington.
sinon a sherbrooke ca se passe bien avec anick et je fait un peu de velo, y a vraiment des belles routes aux alentours.
sinon je te souhaite bonne chances pour les montagnes, est ce que ca s'annonce comme la partie la plus difficile du trip?
anyways keep on posting and keep on rocking in the free world
tank

Anonymous said...

Pierre, comme l'a dit Franck, tes messages nous font vraiment voyager. C'est touchant, même. On voit vraiment la progression d'un gars courageux. C'est cool que tu nous dises vraiment comme tu te sens.
Continue à penser à tes trucs, mais prends des breaks de cerveau, des fois, put some Kid A, et laisse toi glisser.
Je serai absent pour quelques jours mais bonne chance pour tes prochaines étapes, get those mountains from behind (avec l'accent francophone, évidemment).
Alex