Latchford to Val Caron (Sudbury)
236 km. a bit over 10h30 mins.
Sunny, fairly hot (mid 20's) a bit humid
Windy, f'n windy, basically 30 k/h with gusts.
Today is a day I'd rather forget for now.
Against the wind. I was riding against the wind. Against the wind.
for the first 130 k, it was a wind in my face. Sure, there were small short breaks of wind during the ride, but the gusts that followed made me drop a few f-bombs during the day. At times, I think my voice changed a bit from yelling too much.
At the 130 k mark, hitting hwy 17, the roads changed direction. I was now heading westbound. What I didn't want was a crosswind on that highway – not the safest thing. But, i managed. The wind was occasionally against me, and occasionally with me, but always crosswind. (I am spending lots of time talking about the wind, sorry).
On a good note with the wind, I would (expect) to get a tailwind for the last 20 k while I was heading North after hitting Sudbury.
I was losing a bit of time, so I expected to hit my destination, my aunt and mom's place, close to dusk. But, I wasn't done biking/fighting. At the 150 k mark, my front shifter was acting weird. When I tried again, pop, there goes the cable. No more front shifter, no more big ring. Nothing major, I can still get to my destination. But, maybe I wouldn't be able to tap into those tailwind as much as I would like to.
210 k mark, sun was starting to set, and I was close. Winds were still present, but shifting into my favour. Things were fine, enjoying the sunset, and had some time of light before I get there. Flat. Damn. Fix the flat, and then bring 'er on home.
So, not all a bad day. I enjoyed being on the bike, enjoyed my lunch where I was able to leave my mark on the side of the road, and enjoyed arriving to see my mom and aunt.
While I was getting a hug from my mom, I feel someone getting a good handful of my arse. Since my mom's arms were around my neck, it had to be my aunt grabbing my ass. She was disappointed that her nephew didn't have a hard ass. Boy, things are different when people come from up north.
Time for a rest day tomorrow, fix the bottom bracket, front shifter, stock up on bike supplies (tire, tubes, cartridges, cables), and eat too.
Later,
p
Introduction
Allo, hello, tere,
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Saturday, June 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
LMAO!!! Isn't that like tante Joyceline! ha hahahahahahah
Post a Comment