Seeley's Bay to Ottawa
155 km, under 5h30mins
Hot and sunny until Smith Falls,
followed by thunder and lightning (and rain) for 30 mins,
overcast and sunny until Ottawa,
overcast in Ottawa, with another thunder storm
Winds – behind me for the first 3.5 hrs, against me for an hour, then a resumed tailwind
(I guess the intro sums it all up).
Slept in, so I will not be going to the gardens and downtown as tentatively planned. I want to get “home” in time for supper, and visit the kids before they go to bed.
Fun day. I expected a hot day all day. These thunder and lightning storms surprised me. Out of Smith Falls, t and l started, and were around 10 k away. When they got to under 5 km, I pulled off the road to seek shelter to be safe. After a good 10 minutes, I resumed the ride. Fifteen minutes later, the lightning came back to within 5 km, so I had to get off the road again. What is the official concensus for riding in a storm like that – find shelter, or we are safe as bikes?
I was concerned about my cracked rim all day. But, things didn't seem to get worse (wheel didn't get untrue much), even though the crack was getting bigger (spoke pulling appart the rim). But, it held up. I am home now, I get to build (or buy) a new wheel.
The first 100 k flew by. I was at 29 k/h. The winds helped lots, and I was pushing it for most of the ride. I realized I only trained for endurance for the upcoming race, but haven't done some speed work. So, today was a push-it day. It felt good.
When I reached North Gower, I pulled off the side of the road to send a quick update on the blog to let people know I am safe. Getting back on the road, I was wondering why I was stopped in my tracks. Flat. Damn. Fixed it. Just a minute away, I flat again. It looks like I either overinflated it, or there was a piece of sand (or metal from the rim) that ended up inside the tire, and created a nice opportunity for a flat. So, I will take blame for that bad tube replacement (even though I checked the tire for any punctures, as usual). This time, I didn't inflate to max, in order to avoid the same mistake, and to hopefully let the tire take more of the brunt of the road (instead of the cracked rim). Drawbacks would be that I am more at risk of a pinch flat, and it'd be slower. But, it was a risk I took. Everything turned out well.
It was nice to ride in Ottawa again. Weirdly enough, I feel that I haven't been gone at all. Hell, feels like school just finished a week ago or so. But, in reality, I have been living a pretty surreal life – biking daily, seeing tons of different cities and what they have to offer, eating at various places, sampling beers from all over, and visiting family and friends. Totally weird life. We'll see what happens when I snap back to reality in 6-7 weeks.
So, I am now at my bro's place. You guys can reach me on my cell at 613.218.5976, or at their place at 613.xxx.xxxx. For the latter number, please dont call after 8 pm as the kids (should) will be in bed. Cell, anytime.
I hope to get to see a bunch of you guys within the next week or so. I am fairly sure I'll have a bunch of errands to do. I have a feeling I'll keep quite busy (which I dont mind).
The blog will have a rest for a little under a week.
Next entry – probably about the race next week-end.
Talk to you guys soon, and enjoy the break.
Ciao,
p2
Introduction
Allo, hello, tere,
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Some old lines/puns: Pierre qui roule, rock and roll, the rolling stone (gathers no dust).
Who: Pierre, Ottawa (ON)
What: Cross Canada travel.
When: After a few days rest in Tofino, British Columbia at the beginning of May, 2008, hit the road around the 4th. The 1st time-based goal is to arrive in Ottawa in mid June, race in a 24-hour mountain bike competition, and head back on the road a few days later. Finish the trip in St. John's, Newfoundland, at the end of July, 2008, before returning home to Ottawa to start being an adult again.
Where: Canada, West to East, via Toronto, Ontario. Detours: Val Gagné and Manitoulin Island (ON), Gaspé region (QC), and Cape Breton (NS).
Why: Visit this beautiful (and fairly big) nation of ours. See family and friends. Taste the cuisine of different parts of the country and enjoy the various beers and wine along the way. Experience anything the villages and cities along the way have to showcase. Lose 50 pounds and be buff.
How: By bicycle (her nickname: Dzie, pronounced D-Zie).
Extras: According to mapquest, a drive from tip to tip (via Toronto) would be 7710 km (85 hours of driving, 2 ferries). A flight would only be 5400 km (9 hours flight time, with switching planes 2 times).
* I do occasionally feel I am following the footsteps of a few great ones (whom I've also had the honour of riding with), who have done this trip in the past - Al, and especially Tanya. I do hope that I can bring in some new pics, new stories, and not rehash stuff that those amazing folks have done before me.
** I imagine I'll be a bit lonely at times throughout the trip, where I highly request and encourage comments from you guys. It'll be my way of having some conversations with you. I'll try to update the blog every few days.
Disclaimer: Most of you guys know me. In my posts, there will probably be a mixture of bizarre stories, silly jokes (like the weight-losing bit a few instances before), some references to music lyrics and movie lines. I will do my best to entertain, but sometimes, I might miss the mark on being funny or entertaining (hopefully not though).
Posting messages: Readers with a gmail/blogger account - you know what to do. Readers who do not: post a comment as anonymous (but put your name at the bottom of the comment please). The occasional personal messages can be sent to pierre.l.perron@gmail.com
Ciao,
p2
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Welcome back :)
See you Friday
MT
What the heck??? putting our 'unlisted' number online for everyone to see!
It's nice to have you back 'home'. Hope the kids didn't wake you this morning!
Allô Pierrot!!!
You did it. I knew you would because of your determination
Les petits doivent être content de te voir.
Bonne chance à ta course et have fun
Love you
Mom
Welcome home Pierre,
Congratulations! Awesome adventure and great to share it! Good luck on your race....Betcha it will be a breeze...
Things should slow down on the Hill on Thursday if you are around...give a heads up,
Dominique
I am pleased to have you back home.
Drinks on me when we meet up.
Chris Roberts
Congratulations Bonhomme
I had faith in you but you did better than I expected, so happy there were no Major Mishapps.
Take a well deserved break, have fun at the race but make sure nothing happens to prevent you from continuing your dream ride.
All who know you are proud of you.
d
Hey! I was wondering if you were in town. Maybe you're just on your way out...
Read your last 2 blogs only as I had too much to catch up on... I'm really happy for you that all went well. Just a word of advice...don't miss Gaspe or Cape Breton. They are both *well* worth the detour. Not sure about Nfld...
How was the race? Can't wait to hear.
Well, over here, things are growing and growing. In case you haven't figured out who it is, do you remember the follwoing comment: "Well, you're gonna get a guy!", made on a certain park bench in the Elgin area? I certainly have not forgotten. LOL!
Thinking of you and hope to hear from you soon!
;) D.
Post a Comment